Problem with Spider Mites(Phytoseiidae).

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
In summary, the wasps are susceptible to spider mites, which can be a problem because the spider mites attack the wasps' larva and pupa. There is not a specific way to kill the spider mites without harming the wasps, but some methods to avoid them may be useful.
omni
hi all i develop two types of wasps:
1)Muscidifurax raptor
2)Spalangia cameroni
and now i have a real problem with Spider Mites(Phytoseiidae).
i see them mostly after 3-5 days after the wasps emerge from the fly pupa.
so there is any possibility to kill the Spider Mites but not to harm the wasps?
maybe to do something when the new wasps are inside the pupa?

also there is any good way to try to avoid from the Spider Mites?

i really need some help here.

thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I do not know if your wasps can tolerate Neem oil or to put the humidity up a bit. Some of the youngsters who grow crops indoors under lights (you know what I mean) have often problems with spider mites, they have developed various ways to get rid of them. Maybe you can see what they do.
May I ask why breed wasps?

well i am really afraid that the Spider Mite Predators can be disaster for the wasps,i am not know if the Spider Mite Predators will live in peace with the wasps.

and "bindegal" when you told that "who grow crops indoors under lights have often problems with spider mites, they have developed various ways to get rid of them. Maybe you can see what they do. well unfortunately I do not know people who grow these wasps in my area. so i have no one to ask.

maybe there is some Special spray that prevents Spider Mite but not hurt the wasps?

if someone here know people that also grow this kind of wasps and can tell them about my problem or contact me with them (by mail of something) is can be really good.

really thanks for yours answers

Some of us may be surprised the way you just say you are breeding wasps, like that was a normal thing to do?

Is there a big demand for them? :eek:

well yes there is a demand for them.
well i can't say a big demand but farmers are beginning to show interest these wasps, from how i see it,in the last 2 years we triple the amount of our customers.
but now we have the Spider Mites problem.
this year is become a big problem.

Are they in order to substitute bees for plant fertilising?

no we use them to Perform biological control

Wasps eat several common destructive garden insects so some organic gardeners like to attract them.

omni said:
hi all i develop two types of wasps:
1)Muscidifurax raptor
2)Spalangia cameroni
and now i have a real problem with Spider Mites(Phytoseiidae).
i see them mostly after 3-5 days after the wasps emerge from the fly pupa.
so there is any possibility to kill the Spider Mites but not to harm the wasps?
maybe to do something when the new wasps are inside the pupa?

also there is any good way to try to avoid from the Spider Mites?

i really need some help here.

thanks.

I use a liquid seaweed extract sprayed on my tomatoes weekly to prevent spider mites. Nothing but poison will kill them once they are established as far as I know.

Last edited:
well i can't use poison is will kill the wasps also.
about the liquid seaweed extract i will read bit more about this to see if is can help.

i must say this Spider Mites comes only between may-aug.

thanks.

Are you sure the pests really are spider mites?

AFAIK "real" spider mites only feed on and damage plants, not animals. And some wasp species are actually predators of spider mites. :confused:

But if you can figure out a good way to kill spider mites, I would give up on the wasps and sell that instead. You will have a very big market all to yourself!

Omni, are you breeding your wasps indoors? What are you breeding them on, live plants? I can't imagine a fly predator needing to hang out on a live plant but who knows. You might spray a selective miticide like Avid coupled with an attractant phermone like Stirrup M.

AlephZero said:
Are you sure the pests really are spider mites?

AFAIK "real" spider mites only feed on and damage plants, not animals. And some wasp species are actually predators of spider mites. :confused:

But if you can figure out a good way to kill spider mites, I would give up on the wasps and sell that instead. You will have a very big market all to yourself!

:) well the spider mites don't eat the wasp. they eat the fly pupa where the baby wasp start they life. so when the spider mites eat this pupa is greatly influences the production of new wasps.
and i wish i figure out a good way to kill spider mites :)
maybe we will try to do some researches and experiments on this field.

chemisttree said:
Omni, are you breeding your wasps indoors? What are you breeding them on, live plants? I can't imagine a fly predator needing to hang out on a live plant but who knows. You might spray a selective miticide like Avid coupled with an attractant phermone like Stirrup M.

well i breeding the wasps in lab,and i gives them fly pupa where they Lay their eggs.
when the wasps Lay their eggs into the pupa fly the are feed from the fly (is not a adult fly).

The picture shows a wasp lays its egg.

Attachments

• 1111.JPG
    1111.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 475

Related to Problem with Spider Mites(Phytoseiidae).

1. What are spider mites and why are they a problem?

Spider mites are tiny arachnids that feed on plants by piercing their cells and sucking out the contents. They are a problem because they can cause significant damage to crops and ornamental plants, leading to reduced yields and aesthetic appeal.

2. How do I know if my plants have spider mites?

You can identify spider mites by their small size (less than 1mm), their webbing on leaves and stems, and the yellow or white speckled appearance on the leaves. You may also see tiny mites moving around on the plant.

3. What plants are most susceptible to spider mite infestations?

Spider mites can attack a wide variety of plants, but they are most commonly found on fruit trees, vegetables, ornamental plants, and houseplants. They are also more prevalent in hot and dry conditions.

4. How do I get rid of spider mites?

There are several methods for controlling spider mites, including using natural predators like Phytoseiidae (predatory mites), spraying with insecticidal soap or neem oil, and maintaining a healthy environment for plants. It is essential to catch the infestation early and be consistent with treatment to effectively get rid of spider mites.

5. Can spider mites be harmful to humans?

No, spider mites do not pose any direct harm to humans. However, their bites can cause minor irritation, and they can also trigger allergies in some individuals. The main concern with spider mites is their potential to cause significant damage to plants.