Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup for solar cell charatcerization

In summary: We will measure the output current with a photomultiplier. We don't need very accurate measurement, just enough to calibrate the light source. We are using the light source for solar cell mapping so the speed is not a concern.
2lai
In order to build a QE measurement system, I want to confirm the following issues: (1) Is collimated light required for QE characterization of the entire solar cell? How "bad" it could be if having Gaussian beam? (2) It seems LBIC is most common for QE mapping. Is it possible to use monochromatic light instead of laser for QE mapping? I guess the restrictions may include (a) light intensity; (b) wavelength drifting of monochromator in the long mapping duration (Yes or No?) (c) the series resistance of the grid may affect photo-current since photo-generated carriers at different location will travel different distance prior to collection (is this effect negligible?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, I'll answer what I can.

(1)
Yes, you'd want a reasonably collimated beam, since the reflectivity of silicon will vary with angle of incidence. Collimated to within a few milliradians should definitely work, and probably within 5 degrees would work too.

Not sure why you think a Gaussian beam would be bad ... as long as it's reasonably collimated, it shouldn't matter if it's Gaussian or not.

(2)
Not sure what you mean, since a laser beam is monochromatic. Or do you mean you want to vary the wavelength? I'm not sure how much power you can get by using a monochromator as a filter on a white-light source.

Do you want to do this with sunlight, or with monochromatic light? The quantum efficiency varies with frequency, and is probably very poor in both the infra red and ultra violet regions. For "clean systems" like photomultipliers, QE measurement is relatively easy. For solar cells, measuring the output current is the only way to get QE, and dark current may interfere. What method do you plan to use for calibrating your light source, and how accurate a measurement do you need? How big a solar cell do you plan to use it on, and how fast do do want to do it (i.e., production line application)?

We plan to order a Class-B light source. The cell size is around 3x3 cm^2. The measurement system will be setup in 1-2 months.

Thanks Redbelly98.
(1) I should say focused beam rather than Gaussian beam. The intensity is not uniform (not collimated either) which may affect the measurement especially for large area cell.
(2) Adding a laser beam in the measurement system also add the complexity and $$$. It is also my concern the output power of monochromatic light.

Related to Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup for solar cell charatcerization

1. What is a Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup?

A Quantum Efficiency (QE) Mapping setup is a specialized system used for characterizing solar cells. It measures the efficiency of a solar cell by evaluating its response to different wavelengths of light. This allows for a comprehensive understanding of the solar cell's performance and potential limitations.

2. How does a Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup work?

A QE Mapping setup works by shining a monochromatic light source on a solar cell and measuring the amount of current produced. The wavelength of the light is varied to cover the entire solar spectrum, and the resulting data is used to create a QE map. This map shows the efficiency of the solar cell at different wavelengths, providing valuable information for researchers and manufacturers.

3. What are the benefits of using a Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup?

Using a QE Mapping setup allows for a comprehensive evaluation of a solar cell's performance, including its efficiency, response to different wavelengths, and potential defects. This information is crucial for optimizing the design and production process of solar cells and improving their overall efficiency and durability.

4. Is a Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup necessary for solar cell characterization?

While there are other methods for characterizing solar cells, a QE Mapping setup offers a more thorough and accurate evaluation of a solar cell's performance. It provides valuable data that cannot be obtained through other techniques, making it a crucial tool for researchers and manufacturers in the solar industry.

5. Can a Quantum Efficiency Mapping setup be used for other applications besides solar cells?

Yes, a QE Mapping setup can also be used for characterizing other types of photovoltaic devices, such as photodiodes or phototransistors. It can also be used for studying the properties of other materials, such as semiconductors or light-emitting diodes (LEDs). However, its primary application is for solar cell characterization.