Quantum Gravity: Reconciling General Relativity & QFT

In summary: I am not an expert on gravitons, but I can tell you that they are the force mediator of gravity in the same way as photons are the force mediatior of the...light?
ilocar
I watched a seminar in particle physics and they mentioned that it was difficult to reconcile general relativity and Quantum field theory, I was just curious as to why it was so difficult considering quantum field theory is already reconciled with special relativity and gauge symmetry. what mathematical anomalies keep this feat away from us? I'm truly interested in this myself, its sort of a goal of mine to figure out quantum gravity, best to know what I'm getting into.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, renormalizability. The graviton must/should be a rank-2 tensor and massless, i.e. transform as a spin-2 particle with 0 rest mass. The theorem by Weinberg and Witten states that a Quantum Field Theory with massless gauge bosonswith spin greater than 1 can not be both Lorentz invariant and renormalizable.

weren't they able to solve a similar problem with W and Z bosons having mass? by inventing the higgs field concept, so perhaps there is a solution in a similar way in this case?

ilocar said:
weren't they able to solve a similar problem with W and Z bosons having mass? by inventing the higgs field concept, so perhaps there is a solution in a similar way in this case?

But they are spin-1.

And they are massive in nature -> i.e. short range force.

Theory with massive gauge bosons can only be renormalizabile iff they acquire mass from spontanteos symmetry breaking.

So what is left for you is to introduce graviton with current mass into the Lagrangian, but that will not save you since, as I said, a theory where the gauge boson have mass is also renormalizable.

The logic you are suggesting is that one should have a spontaneous symmetry breaking mechanism which makes the graviton massless, or what? I can not follow you here =/
Then the graviton still have spin-2.. so?

The problem is NOT similar at all.

Have you consulted textbooks on this? Have you done classes in QFT and GR?

well, I didn't really know much of anything about the complexity of the problem. No I haven't consulted any textbooks, I barely understand relativity and quantum field theory, I would really enjoy learning this sort of thing. perhaps there could be some sort of mechanism that accounts for spin-2?

ilocar said:
perhaps there could be some sort of mechanism that accounts for spin-2?

Yeah, they are called strings: string theory successfully reconciles quantum mechanics and general relativity.

ExactlySolved said:
Yeah, they are called strings: string theory successfully reconciles quantum mechanics and general relativity.

successfully ??

ilocar said:
perhaps there could be some sort of mechanism that accounts for spin-2?

define "mechanism that accounts for spin-2"

One has to forget about "classical" quantum theory - that particles are point-like in space-time. That is what string theory is about, and indeed, it "works" but I would not say that it work "successfully" since it is still under large development ;-)

Well my advise is to take one step at the time :-)

Also, make sure to study MUCH math (topology, differential geometry, groups, rings etc.)

ilocar said:
I watched a seminar in particle physics and they mentioned that it was difficult to reconcile general relativity and Quantum field theory, I was just curious as to why it was so difficult considering quantum field theory is already reconciled with special relativity and gauge symmetry. what mathematical anomalies keep this feat away from us? I'm truly interested in this myself, its sort of a goal of mine to figure out quantum gravity, best to know what I'm getting into.

Standard QFT presumes a fixed background Minkowski spacetime.
However, in general relativity and, presumably, in a quantum theory of gravity, spacetime is also dynamical.
This dual role of spacetime makes "gravity" different from the "other fundamental forces".

Here's a more elaborate description of that point of view:
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Outreach/What_We_Research/Quantum_Gravity/

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I get it, yeah. don't worry about the math, math is my first love, I would love to learn topology and linear algebra, differential geometry, groups, rings. I enjoy just about every kind of math accept, possibly, statistics. I suppose if there was another field if gravitons skimmed it they might gain extra spin, but their point so I guess that doesn't work. hmm, I do have another question are gravitons equivalent to gravitational waves the same way Photons are light waves?

ilocar said:
Now I get it, yeah. don't worry about the math, math is my first love, I would love to learn topology and linear algebra, differential geometry, groups, rings. I enjoy just about every kind of math accept, possibly, statistics. I suppose if there was another field if gravitons skimmed it they might gain extra spin, but their point so I guess that doesn't work. hmm, I do have another question are gravitons equivalent to gravitational waves the same way Photons are light waves?

I am not an expert on gravitons, but I can tell you that they are the force mediator of gravity in the same way as photons are the force mediatior of the electromagnetic force.

But yes, gravitational waves should be composed of gravitons.

Related to Quantum Gravity: Reconciling General Relativity & QFT

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile two fundamental theories of physics: general relativity, which describes the force of gravity on a large scale, and quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of particles on a small scale. It aims to explain how gravity works at the subatomic level, where the laws of quantum mechanics apply.

2. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it seeks to unify our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. By combining general relativity and quantum mechanics, we can potentially explain some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of black holes and the beginning of the universe.

3. What is the current status of research in quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is still a highly active area of research, and there are several competing theories and approaches being explored. Some of the most popular approaches include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. However, there is still no widely accepted theory of quantum gravity.

4. How does quantum gravity relate to the search for a theory of everything?

Quantum gravity is considered to be a key component in the search for a theory of everything, also known as a grand unified theory. This is because a successful theory of quantum gravity would unify all the known forces of nature, including gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

5. Are there any experimental tests for quantum gravity?

Currently, there are no direct experimental tests for quantum gravity. This is due to the fact that the energy scales required to observe quantum gravity effects are incredibly high and not yet attainable with current technology. However, there are some indirect tests being conducted, such as studying the behavior of particles near black holes and looking for anomalies in the cosmic microwave background radiation.