Question on Quantum Physics- Probability of finding a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the complex conjugate of two given wavefunctions, ψ1 and ψ2, and obtaining the same result of 0.86. The question also asks for the appropriate relationship between the probabilities of finding the particle in the range -1/r < x < 1/r for both wavefunctions, with the correct answer being p1=p2. The conversation also touches on the concept of phase factors and how they affect the measurements, probabilities, and expectation values of wavefunctions.
warhammer
Homework Statement
Consider two states of a particle given by the wave functions
ψ1(x) = √re-|r|x and ψ2(x) = -√re-|r|x
The probability of finding the particle in the range -1/r < x < 1/r is p1 in the first state and p2 in the second state. Which of the following is appropriate?
(a) p1 = p2
(b) p1 = - p2
(c) p1 < p2
(d) p1 > p2
Relevant Equations
Integration {ψ(x)}{ψ(x)*} from -∞ to ∞=1
(* denotes conjugate)
I calculated the complex conjugate of both the given wavefunctions. For ψ1: ∫re^((-2)mod(r)x)dx=1 with upper limit ∞ & lower limit -∞. I replaced the upper and lower limit after breaking down the function inside integration as follows- r*∫e^(2rx)dx from -1/r to 0 and r*e∫e^(-2rx)dx from 0 to 1/r. The answer was 1-1/e^2 which equals 0.86.

I repeated the above steps for ψ2 and similarly obtained 0.86. However, I am somewhat not sure if I have proceeded correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Homework Statement: Consider two states of a particle given by the wave functions
ψ1(x) = √re-|r|x and ψ2(x) = -√re-|r|x
The probability of finding the particle in the range -1/r < x < 1/r is p1 in the first state and p2 in the second state. Which of the following is appropriate?
(a) p1 = p2
(b) p1 = - p2
(c) p1 < p2
(d) p1 > p2
Homework Equations: Integration {ψ(x)}{ψ(x)*} from -∞ to ∞=1
(* denotes conjugate)

I calculated the complex conjugate of both the given wavefunctions. For ψ1: ∫re^((-2)mod(r)x)dx=1 with upper limit ∞ & lower limit -∞. I replaced the upper and lower limit after breaking down the function inside integration as follows- r*∫e^(2rx)dx from -1/r to 0 and r*e∫e^(-2rx)dx from 0 to 1/r. The answer was 1-1/e^2 which equals 0.86.

I repeated the above steps for ψ2 and similarly obtained 0.86. However, I am somewhat not sure if I have proceeded correctly.

Those wavefunctions look kinda simlilar to me.

PeroK said:
Those wavefunctions look kinda simlilar to me.
Yes. That is what I figured because when we find the complex conjugate, the negative sign for the second one would vanish and the functions on closer inspection would give us the same values upon integrating on the said limits. I found out the answer to be p1=p2 but I'm somewhat new to these concepts and confused whether my approach is correct or not. I hope this doesn't break the rules of the forum but since I have done the solution part myself would you be able to atleast guide me if I'm correct here or not?

warhammer said:
Yes. That is what I figured because when we find the complex conjugate, the negative sign for the second one would vanish and the functions on closer inspection would give us the same values upon integrating on the said limits. I found out the answer to be p1=p2 but I'm somewhat new to these concepts and confused whether my approach is correct or not. I hope this doesn't break the rules of the forum but since I have done the solution part myself would you be able to atleast guide me if I'm correct here or not?

The two wavefunctions are essentially equivalent in terms of measurements, probabilities and expectation values. You can see that as soon as you set up the two integrals, they are the same.

Any two wavefunctions that differ only by a "phase factor" - any complex number of unit modulus (in this case ##-1##) - have this property of returning the same probabilities. Again, you can see that as soon as you set up the integral.

• Informative
Likes warhammer
PeroK said:
The two wavefunctions are essentially equivalent in terms of measurements, probabilities and expectation values. You can see that as soon as you set up the two integrals, they are the same.

Any two wavefunctions that differ only by a "phase factor" - any complex number of unit modulus (in this case ##-1##) - have this property of returning the same probabilities. Again, you can see that as soon as you set up the integral.
Thank you for your help, got this one now :)

Related to Question on Quantum Physics- Probability of finding a particle

1. What is the probability of finding a particle in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, the probability of finding a particle is described by the wave function, which is a mathematical function that represents the state of the particle. The square of the wave function, known as the probability density, gives the probability of finding the particle at a particular location.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle determined in quantum physics?

The probability of finding a particle in quantum physics is determined by the wave function, which is calculated using the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle and describes how the wave function evolves over time.

3. Can the probability of finding a particle in quantum physics be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle in quantum physics cannot be greater than 1. The total probability of finding a particle must always equal 1, as the particle must exist somewhere in space at any given time.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of finding a particle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less certain we are about its momentum. This uncertainty in momentum also affects the probability of finding the particle at a particular location.

5. Can the probability of finding a particle change over time in quantum physics?

Yes, the probability of finding a particle in quantum physics can change over time. This is because the wave function evolves and changes as the particle moves through space. The probability of finding the particle at a specific location can increase or decrease as the wave function evolves, depending on the potential energy of the particle.