Questions about ANC and Transport Theory

In summary, the nuclear reactor model we will be using is called Westinghouse ANC code. It is written in a proprietary language and computational overhead is high when using neutron transport theory. If you do not simplify the equations, calculations are parallel. There is little information available about ANC, but it is a recent development and PSU is a good place to attend if you are interested in learning more.
Comdrpopnfres
I'm currently enrolled in a course in which we will be modeling parts of a nuclear reactor utilizing Westinghouse ANC code. Here are my questions:

My professor said we will be doing coding on Unix-based machines; so, does that mean the ANC code is FORTRAN 90 based?

Secondly, when performing calculations in ANC using neutron transport theory, does the process involve a lot of computational overhead? Could I install a Unix distro on my PC and (on the off chance we are allowed to have private copies of ANC) work on a project, or just tinker around with it, on my own time and computer?

Lastly, if one does not reduce the number of equations coming from transport theory (via simplifications and assumptions), are the calculations primarily parallel; seeing as the same equations are being used, just with inputs and dimensions as the variances? I'm wondering if using a multi-core PC makes enough of a beneficial difference in chugging through the calculations to justify having my primary computer inaccessible for some time.

Additionally- it is terribly difficult finding any information out about ANC. From what I deduced from some face-time with google, ANC9 is FORTRAN 90 based, where as ANC-H (as far as I know we are not going to use the hexagonal ANC) is written and worked with in either FORTRAN 77 or FORTRAN 95.

Engineering news on Phys.org
See if your professor can get a copy of:
Nguyen, T. Q., et al., “Qualification of the PHOENIX-P/ANC Nuclear Design System for
Pressurized Water Reactor Cores,” WCAP-11597-A (Nonproprietary), June 1988.

My company uses F77 codes on UNIX/LINUX systems, so just because one is running a code on UNIX/LINUX doesn't mean the source code is F90 or higher.

Usually Westinghouse provides only the executable. The source does is highly proprietary.

ANC 9 is just the latest version of ANC.

ANC-H is a 3-D nodal code for space-dependent, few group diffusion, nodal nuclear design and steady-state safety related calculations for VVER-1000 and VVER- 440 cores. The H refers to Hexagonal lattice (triangular pitch). PHOENIX-H is the H-version of PHOENIX.

Comdrpopnfres said:
My professor said we will be doing coding on Unix-based machines; so, does that mean the ANC code is FORTRAN 90 based?

I don't know how interesting this is, but there's no particular link between the operating system and the source language. In fact, the most native language for all UNIX/LINUX kind of software is C and its derivatives, but there exist compilers for other languages like fortran.

Once you have an executable, whatever was the source code to generate doesn't matter much (unless there are API-related issues, which might play a role). Apart from open-source projects, you rarely get your hands on the source code.

I am curious as to what university you attend. If it is PSU, I could answer most/all of your questions.

BishopUser said:
I am curious as to what university you attend. If it is PSU, I could answer most/all of your questions.

Go kitties! ^_^

Good ole' Westinghouse. I live about 45 minutes from their new headquarters in Cranberry, PA and the Energy Center is minutes from me. If you want I can sneak in for ya. LOL just kidding for anyone who is watching. LOL

Thanks
Matt

Related to Questions about ANC and Transport Theory

1. What is ANC and how does it relate to transport theory?

ANC stands for Adiabatic Nuclear Collision and is a concept in nuclear physics that describes the behavior of atoms or molecules during a collision. It is closely related to transport theory, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the movement of particles in a medium.

2. What is the difference between ANC and transport theory?

The main difference between ANC and transport theory is that ANC focuses on the behavior of atoms or molecules during collisions, while transport theory is a more general framework that can be applied to a variety of particles and interactions.

3. How is ANC used in practical applications?

ANC is commonly used in the study of nuclear reactions, particularly in nuclear astrophysics and nuclear fusion. It is also used in the design of nuclear reactors and in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in plasma physics.

4. What are some key concepts in ANC and transport theory?

Some key concepts in ANC and transport theory include the conservation of energy and momentum, the role of scattering and nuclear forces, and the use of mathematical models to describe particle interactions and movement.

5. What are the current challenges and developments in ANC and transport theory research?

Some current challenges in ANC and transport theory research include understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments, developing more accurate theoretical models, and applying these concepts to new areas such as quantum computing. There is also ongoing research in using ANC to study nuclear reactions and improve our understanding of the structure of atomic nuclei.