Questions regarding the synthesization of lightning

• Thread starter Petyarazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, the individual is attempting to build a chamber that can recreate the process of a lightning strike, and has realized that they need to charge the top and bottom (or both sides) of the chamber with extreme opposite charges. They also need to simulate the atmospheric conditions of a lightning cloud within the chamber. They have a few questions regarding the distance between the top and bottom of the chamber, what can be used to generate extreme charges, and how to contain the charges without spreading to the atmosphere and walls of the chamber. However, due to the dangerous nature of the project, they are advised to seek help elsewhere.
Petyarazor
I'm trying to build a chamber than can recreate the process of a lightning strike. I realize that I need to charge the top and bottom (or both sides) of the chamber with extreme opposite charges, and I also realize that I need to simulate the atmospheric conditions of a lightning cloud within the chamber.

I have a few questions. Number 1, does the distance between the top and bottom (or sides of the chamber) of the chamber make any difference to the possibility of generating a lightning strike? Number 2, what could I use to generate an extreme + charge and an extreme - charge? Number 3, How can I contain the extreme - and extreme + electromagnetic charges specifically to the top and bottom of the chamber, without the electric charges spreading to the synthesized atmosphere and walls of the chamber.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Petyarazor said:
I'm trying to build a chamber than can recreate the process of a lightning strike. I realize that I need to charge the top and bottom (or both sides) of the chamber with extreme opposite charges, and I also realize that I need to simulate the atmospheric conditions of a lightning cloud within the chamber.

I have a few questions. Number 1, does the distance between the top and bottom (or sides of the chamber) of the chamber make any difference to the possibility of generating a lightning strike? Number 2, what could I use to generate an extreme + charge and an extreme - charge? Number 3, How can I contain the extreme - and extreme + electromagnetic charges specifically to the top and bottom of the chamber, without the electric charges spreading to the synthesized atmosphere and walls of the chamber.

Welcome to the PF.

That's a pretty dangerous project if you haven't worked with high voltage much in the past. I'm afraid that we can't be of help to you on this project (beyond the link that has already been posted).

Related to Questions regarding the synthesization of lightning

1. How is lightning created?

Lightning is created when positively charged particles in a storm cloud interact with negatively charged particles in the ground. This creates an electrical current that we see as lightning.

2. Can lightning be artificially created?

Yes, scientists have been able to create artificial lightning in laboratories using specialized equipment. However, this is only done for research purposes and is not a viable method for producing lightning on a large scale.

3. Is it possible to harness the power of lightning as a source of energy?

While there have been attempts to harness the energy of lightning, it is not currently a feasible source of energy due to the unpredictability and danger associated with it. Additionally, the amount of energy generated by lightning is relatively low compared to other sources of energy.

4. How does lightning affect the environment?

Lightning can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, it helps to balance the electrical charge in the atmosphere and can contribute to the growth of plants. On the other hand, lightning strikes can start wildfires and damage trees and other natural structures.

5. Can lightning be controlled or prevented?

At this time, there is no technology that can control or prevent lightning strikes. However, there are safety precautions that individuals can take, such as seeking shelter during a storm and avoiding tall objects, to reduce the risk of being struck by lightning.