Quotients of direct sums of modules

In summary, the statement is that if a module M over the unital associative algebra A is written M\cong S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r (where the S_i are simple modules), then in any composition series of M, the composition factors are, up to order and isomorphism, S_1,\ldots,S_r.
gauss mouse
Hi, I keep seeing indirect uses of a result which I think would be stated as follows:

If a module [itex]M[/itex] over the unital associative algebra [itex]A[/itex] is written
[itex]M\cong S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r[/itex] (where the [itex]S_i[/itex] are simple modules), then in any comosition series of [itex]M[/itex], the composition factors are, up to order and isomorphism, [itex]S_1,\ldots,S_r[/itex]. Perhaps this statement is not correct, but it's the best I can do when I can't find an explicit statement anywhere.

I think I would use the Jordan Holder theorem to prove this. I would argue as follows: a composition series for [itex]S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r[/itex] is given by
[itex]S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r>S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-1}>S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-2}>\cdots>S_1>\{0\}.[/itex]
Now, [itex](S_1/\{0\})\cong S_1,\ (S_1\oplus S_2)/S_1\cong S_2,\ (S_1\oplus S_2\oplus S_3)/(S_1\oplus S_2)\cong S_3,\ldots, (S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_r)/(S_1\oplus\cdots\oplus S_{r-1})\cong S_r[/itex] and so by the Jordan Holder theorem, in any comosition series of [itex]M[/itex], the composition factors are, up to order and isomorphism, [itex]S_1,\ldots,S_r[/itex].

I have a feeling that I am going wrong somewhere, perhaps in my cancelling when I do things like [itex] (S_1\oplus S_2)/S_1\cong S_2[/itex]. The terminology of "direct sum" would suggest that this is not allowed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the S_i's are simple modules, what you've written is correct.

To justify canceling off a factor in the direct sums, just use the first isomorphism theorem: e.g., the map [itex]S_1 \oplus S_2 \to S_2[/itex] defined by [itex](s_1,s_2) \mapsto s_2[/itex] is surjective and has kernel equal to [itex]S_1\oplus 0[/itex].

Yes, they are simple, I've edited that in. Thanks a million for your help.

this looks fishy.

mathwonk said:
this looks fishy.
Is there anything specific that's making you skeptical?

Related to Quotients of direct sums of modules

1. What is a quotient of a direct sum of modules?

A quotient of a direct sum of modules is a new module that is obtained by dividing a direct sum of modules by a submodule. It is denoted as M/N, where M is the direct sum of modules and N is the submodule.

2. How is a quotient of a direct sum of modules calculated?

To calculate the quotient of a direct sum of modules, first find the direct sum of the modules by adding them together. Then, find the submodule and remove it from the direct sum. The resulting module is the quotient of the direct sum.

3. What is the significance of quotients of direct sums of modules in mathematics?

Quotients of direct sums of modules are important in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They allow for the study of modules in a structured and organized way, and often provide insights into the underlying structure of the modules.

4. Can a quotient of a direct sum of modules be isomorphic to the original module?

Yes, it is possible for a quotient of a direct sum of modules to be isomorphic to the original module. This can happen when the submodule being removed is trivial, meaning it contains only the identity element of the module. In this case, the quotient would be the same as the original module.

5. How are quotients of direct sums of modules used in real-world applications?

Quotients of direct sums of modules have many practical applications, such as in coding theory, cryptography, and data compression. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of symmetry and symmetry breaking in quantum systems. They are also used in various engineering fields, such as signal processing and control systems.