Reducing Quadratic Form to Principle Axes

In summary: A\) where \(q=z^t A z\) as column vectors of the matrix. So I took the eigenvectors to be, (2,2,-1), (-2,1,-2) and (-1,2,2) and put them as column vectors of the matrix. But later I realized that, the order of the eigenvectors does not matter. So I am good. :)
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question with the summary of my method of how to solve it. I would really appreciate if you could go through it and let me know if there are any mistakes with my approach. Also are there any easier methods?

Problem:

Find an orthogonal transformation that reduces the following quadratic form to the principal axes.

\[q(x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3)=6x_{1}^{2}+5x_{2}^{2}+7x_{3}^{2}-4x_1 x_2+4x_1 x_3\]

Solution:

We reduce this to get rid of the cross terms as explained >>here<<.

\[q(x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3)=3\left(\frac{2x_1+2x_2-x_3}{3}\right)^2+9\left(\frac{-2x_1+x_2-2x_3}{3}\right)^2+6\left(\frac{-x_1+2x_2+2x_3}{3}\right)^2\]

So the matrix of the orthogonal transformation will be,

\[\begin{pmatrix}\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&-\frac{1}{3}\\-\frac{2}{3}&\frac{1}{3}&-\frac{2}{3}\\-\frac{1}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}\end{pmatrix}\]

Am I correct? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question with the summary of my method of how to solve it. I would really appreciate if you could go through it and let me know if there are any mistakes with my approach. Also are there any easier methods?

Problem:

Find an orthogonal transformation that reduces the following quadratic form to the principal axes.

\[q(x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3)=6x_{1}^{2}+5x_{2}^{2}+7x_{3}^{2}-4x_1 x_2+4x_1 x_3\]

Solution:

We reduce this to get rid of the cross terms as explained >>here<<.

\[q(x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3)=3\left(\frac{2x_1+2x_2-x_3}{3}\right)^2+9\left(\frac{-2x_1+x_2-2x_3}{3}\right)^2+6\left(\frac{-x_1+2x_2+2x_3}{3}\right)^2\]

So the matrix of the orthogonal transformation will be,

\[\begin{pmatrix}\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&-\frac{1}{3}\\-\frac{2}{3}&\frac{1}{3}&-\frac{2}{3}\\-\frac{1}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}\end{pmatrix}\]

Am I correct? :)

Yes, it is correct! :cool:

The eigenvalues of the matrix A (from your reference) are 3, 6, and 9, with corresponding eigenvectors (-2,-2,1), (-1,2,2), (2,-1,2).
As expected these are orthogonal (since the spectral theorem for real symmetric matrices applies).

So the orthogonal transformation matrix must contain these 3 vectors (normalized to unit length and possible negative) in an arbitrary order.
Your matrix does not contain them as column vectors.

Of course it's also possible you have specified the other orthogonal transformation matrix, which is the inverse, and since it's orthogonal, the transpose.
And yes, they do correspond! :D

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
I think it is almost correct. :eek:
The eigenvalues of the matrix A (from your reference) are 3, 6, and 9, with corresponding eigenvectors (-2,-2,1), (-1,2,2), (2,-1,2).
As expected these are orthogonal (since the spectral theorem for real symmetric matrices applies).

So the orthogonal transformation matrix must contain these 3 vectors (normalized to unit length and possible negative) in an arbitrary order.
However, your matrix does not seem to contain them as column vectors.

Of course it's also possible you have specified the other orthogonal transformation matrix, which is the inverse, and since it's orthogonal, the transpose.
Then I would expect the rows to match with the eigenvectors.
But that is also not the case...

I think the rows do match with your eigenvectors aren't they? But note that I have taken the eigenvectors as, (2,2,-1), (-2,1,-2) and (-1,2,2) which is essentially the same thing. Isn't? :)

Sudharaka said:
I think the rows do match with your eigenvectors aren't they? But note that I have taken the eigenvectors as, (2,2,-1), (-2,1,-2) and (-1,2,2) which is essentially the same thing. Isn't? :)

I had just noticed my mistake, and I had already edited my previous post.
So yes, it is correct!

I like Serena said:
I had just noticed my mistake, and I had already edited my previous post.
So yes, it is correct!

Thanks very much for the confirmation. :) That means even if I didn't find the principle axes formula I would have still obtained the orthogonal transformation matrix by considering the eigenvectors of the matrix \(A\) where \(q=z^t A z\). Isn't?

Sudharaka said:
Thanks very much for the confirmation. :) That means even if I didn't find the principle axes formula I would have still obtained the orthogonal transformation matrix by considering the eigenvectors of the matrix \(A\) where \(q=z^t A z\). Isn't?

Which formula did you want to find?

You've ascertained that $q(\mathbf x)=1$ is an ellipsoid centered at the origin, with axes that are aligned with the eigenvectors, and that have half-axis-lengths of respectively $1/\sqrt 3$, $1/\sqrt 6$, and $1/3$.
See the wiki article Quadric.

What more did you want to find?

I like Serena said:
Which formula did you want to find?

You've ascertained that $q(\mathbf x)=1$ is an ellipsoid centered at the origin, with axes that are aligned with the eigenvectors, and that have half-axis-lengths of respectively $1/\sqrt 3$, $1/\sqrt 6$, and $1/3$.
See the wiki article Quadric.

What more did you want to find?

I am sorry, what I meant was, I used,

to get the orthogonal transformation. Since,

\[\begin{pmatrix}y_1\\y_2\\y_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&-\frac{1}{3}\\-\frac{2}{3}&\frac{1}{3}&-\frac{2}{3}\\-\frac{1}{3}&\frac{2}{3}&\frac{2}{3}\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\end{pmatrix}\]

I knew that the orthogonal transformation should be,

Related to Reducing Quadratic Form to Principle Axes

What is "Reducing Quadratic Form to Principle Axes"?

"Reducing Quadratic Form to Principle Axes" is a mathematical process that involves transforming a quadratic equation into a simpler form by rotating the coordinate system and identifying the axes along which the equation takes its simplest form.

Why is it important to reduce a quadratic form to principle axes?

Reducing a quadratic form to principle axes allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of the equation more easily. It helps us to identify the direction of maximum and minimum values and to simplify calculations.

What are the steps involved in reducing a quadratic form to principle axes?

The first step is to identify the coefficients of the quadratic equation. Then, we use a matrix transformation to rotate the coordinate system. Next, we solve for the new coefficients in terms of the rotated axes. Finally, we simplify the equation by eliminating cross-product terms.

What are the advantages of reducing a quadratic form to principle axes?

Reducing a quadratic form to principle axes allows us to graph the equation more easily and identify important characteristics such as the vertex, axis of symmetry, and intercepts. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to solve for critical values.

When is reducing a quadratic form to principle axes not possible?

Reducing a quadratic form to principle axes is not possible when the equation is not in standard form, or when the coefficients do not allow for the elimination of cross-product terms. Additionally, if the equation is already in principle axes, there is no need for further reduction.