Relationship between size of conjugacy class and the normalizer?

In summary, Theorem: If G is a finite group, then the number of elements conjugate to a is the index of the normalizer in G. The book defines the normalizer as N(a\in G)=\{ x\in G\colon xa=ax\} and uses this to show that for a group S_4 and element (1,2)(3,4), the number of elements conjugate to (1,2)(3,4) is 3, but the number of elements that commute with (1,2)(3,4) is 4, contradicting the theorem. However, the normalizer for (1,2)(3,4) also includes (1423) and (
awetawef
I am reading an Abstract Algebra book, and there is a theorem that says:

Thm: If G is a finite group, then the number of elements conjugate to a is the index of the normalizer in G.

The book uses the normalizer to mean
[itex]
N(a\in G)=\{ x\in G\colon xa=ax\}
[/itex]

Now if the group is S_4, and our element is (1,2)(3,4), then the number of elements conjugate to (1,2)(3,4) is 3, and the number of elements with commute with (1,2)(3,4) is 4, so the theorem doesn't hold (?).

I am pretty sure that I am wrong, but I don't see why. Clearly the set of conjugates to (1,2)(3,4) is
[itex]
\{ (12)(34), (13)(24), (14)(23) \}
[/itex]
and the normalizer is
[itex]
\{ (12), (34), (12)(34), e\}
[/itex]

What am I missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
Also in the normalizer are (1423) and (1324).

Related to Relationship between size of conjugacy class and the normalizer?

1. What is the definition of a conjugacy class?

A conjugacy class is a set of elements in a group that are equivalent under conjugation, meaning they can be transformed into each other by multiplying on the left and right by elements in the group.

2. How is the size of a conjugacy class determined?

The size of a conjugacy class is equal to the index of the centralizer of any element in the class. This can also be determined by counting the number of elements in the class.

3. What is the relationship between the size of a conjugacy class and the order of the group?

The size of a conjugacy class is always a divisor of the order of the group. In other words, the order of the group is a multiple of the size of any of its conjugacy classes.

4. How is the normalizer of a group related to its conjugacy classes?

The normalizer of a group is the largest subgroup that contains all elements that commute with every element in the group. The normalizer is closely related to the conjugacy classes as it contains the centralizer of each element, which determines the size of each conjugacy class.

5. Can the size of a conjugacy class be larger than the order of the group?

Yes, it is possible for the size of a conjugacy class to be larger than the order of the group. This can occur in non-abelian groups, where there are elements that do not commute with each other, resulting in larger conjugacy classes.