Seeking a Recommendation for Multivariable/Vector Calculus

I've heard good things about the other books you mentioned, but they may not have as much theory as you're looking for.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum friends,

I am a same person who recently wrote a post here about seeking the good textbooks for linear algebra. I apologize for this interruption again but I was wondering if you could recommend me some good textbooks about multivariable/vector calculus (what is difference between multivariable calculus and vector calculus?). I will be taking both the theoretical linear algebra and multivariable calculus on next semester. My university uses its own etextbook for that multivariable calculus course, but it is very computational and does not care about the theory...Could you recommend me a book that has both the theories and applications of multivariable/vector calculus and also have a clear exposition and challenging problem sets? I heard quite a few textbook written by Serge Lang, Wendell Fleming, Richard Williamson, Thomas, Stewart, and Hubbard; I do not know the difficulty levels of those books...are they about the same level as Apostol's vol. II?

MSK

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for theory, I'd say Apostol is your best bet.

Related to Seeking a Recommendation for Multivariable/Vector Calculus

1. What is multivariable/vector calculus?

Multivariable/vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, such as 3-dimensional space. It involves analyzing and manipulating vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. Why is multivariable/vector calculus important?

Multivariable/vector calculus is important because it is used to understand and model complex, real-world phenomena. It is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are some applications of multivariable/vector calculus?

Some applications of multivariable/vector calculus include optimization, motion and force in physics, population dynamics in biology, and pricing models in economics. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning.

4. How is multivariable/vector calculus different from single-variable calculus?

Multivariable/vector calculus is different from single-variable calculus in that it deals with functions of several variables, rather than just one. This adds complexity and requires the use of vector concepts, such as partial derivatives, gradients, and line integrals.

5. What are some resources for learning multivariable/vector calculus?

Some resources for learning multivariable/vector calculus include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor.