Simple Differential Equation: Finding General Solution for y'\cos(x) = \sin(2x)

In summary, the conversation was about a person struggling with a differential equation problem and seeking help in understanding the correct method to solve it. After some discussion, it was determined that the mistake was in not recognizing a trigonometric identity. An attached solution was provided for reference.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

Found an exercise on simple differential equations on some website, got all correct except for this one. It only supplies answers but no method, but am stuck as to how they got their answer. Asked to find a general solution to the following differential equation:

[tex]y'\cos(x) = \sin(2x)[/tex]

Here's my method:

Had to make it in the form y' = f(x), so;

[tex]y' = \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

Integrating both sides gives us;

[tex]y = \int \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(x)}dx[/tex]

EDIT: Forget about method I wrote underneath. I saw my error. But can anyone show me how/why the above equates to -2cos(x) + C?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:

You really need to learn your trigonometric identities …

in this case, sin2x = 2sinxcosx :wink:

Ack! I completely missed that! I knew that identity and it just completely fell out of my head... haha. Thanks! :)

see attached

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 464

Hello,

The general solution to this differential equation is y(x) = -2cos(x) + C. To understand why this is the case, we can first rewrite the equation as:

y' = \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(x)}

Then, we can use the trigonometric identity \sin(2x) = 2\sin(x)\cos(x) to rewrite the right side as:

y' = 2\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}\cos(x)

Next, we can recognize that \frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} is simply the tangent function, so we can rewrite the equation as:

y' = 2\tan(x)\cos(x)

Now, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative of y with respect to x:

y' = \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{d\tan(x)}\frac{d\tan(x)}{dx} = \sec^2(x) \cdot 2\tan(x)

Substituting this back into our original equation, we get:

\frac{dy}{dx} = 2\tan(x)\cos(x) = 2\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}\cos(x) = 2\sin(x)

Integrating both sides with respect to x, we get:

y = \int 2\sin(x)dx = -2\cos(x) + C

So the general solution to the differential equation is y(x) = -2cos(x) + C. I hope this helps clarify the method used to solve this problem.

Related to Simple Differential Equation: Finding General Solution for y'\cos(x) = \sin(2x)

What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It typically contains only one independent variable and one dependent variable.

What are the types of simple differential equations?

The types of simple differential equations include first-order, second-order, and higher-order equations. They can also be classified as linear or nonlinear, depending on the form of the equation.

How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you need to find the general solution, which is a formula that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. This can be done by using integration, separation of variables, or other methods depending on the type of equation.

What are the applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations are used to model various physical phenomena, such as growth and decay, motion, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, biology, and engineering to analyze and predict behavior of systems.

Why are simple differential equations important?

Simple differential equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of many natural and man-made systems. They are also the basis for more complex differential equations used in advanced scientific and engineering fields.