Studying aerospace engineering at UCLA

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking advice on securing a good job in aerospace engineering after college. They mention interning in the winter and ask for recommendations on companies to pursue. The other person suggests checking out Scaled Composites, a company involved in commercial spaceflight, and expresses excitement about the potential growth of the industry. They also mention the challenges with NASA's monopoly on spaceflight.
samloseness
I am currently studying aerospace engineering at UCLA and was wondering if anyone had any good advice to securing a good job after college. I am going to start interning in the winter, but need some advice on what companies to look into for a good aerospace job. I found one site that lists all the http://www.ranker.com/list/aerospace-engineering-companies/reference" , but I want some advice on what companies to pursue. Anything would help and I greatly appreciate it. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It is my opinion that commercial spaceflight will be a burgeoning industry in the next few decades.

Shackleford said:
It is my opinion that commercial spaceflight will be a burgeoning industry in the next few decades.

To follow up on this, go and check out Scaled Composites! No really, just google or wiki that company and tell me if you're not excited.

mayonaise said:
To follow up on this, go and check out Scaled Composites! No really, just google or wiki that company and tell me if you're not excited.

Interesting. I'm glad someone is doing it. NASA has had a monopoly on spaceflight for too many decades. Unfortunately, it has become a cumbersome government bureaucracy resistant to change.

As a scientist with a background in aerospace engineering, I can offer some advice on securing a good job after college. First and foremost, internships are a great way to gain hands-on experience and make valuable connections in the industry. Make the most out of your winter internship by networking with professionals and learning as much as you can about the company and the industry.

In terms of companies to pursue, it is important to consider your interests and goals in the field of aerospace engineering. Are you interested in a specific area, such as aircraft design or space exploration? Research companies that align with your interests and have a strong track record in that particular area.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to alumni from UCLA who are currently working in the aerospace industry. They can provide valuable insights and potentially even refer you to job opportunities within their companies. Utilizing online resources, such as the list of aerospace engineering companies on Ranker, is also a good start, but make sure to do your own research and thoroughly evaluate each company before applying.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of networking and building relationships in the industry. Attend career fairs, conferences, and industry events to meet professionals and learn about potential job opportunities. Stay proactive and persistent in your job search, and you will increase your chances of securing a good job after college. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors in the field of aerospace engineering.

Related to Studying aerospace engineering at UCLA

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on designing, building, and maintaining aircraft and spacecraft. This field combines elements of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering to create and improve aircraft and spacecraft systems.

2. Why should I consider studying aerospace engineering at UCLA?

UCLA is a top-ranked university with a highly regarded aerospace engineering program. The university has state-of-the-art facilities and resources, as well as renowned faculty members who are leaders in their fields. Additionally, UCLA's location in Southern California provides unique opportunities for hands-on experience and industry connections in the aerospace industry.

3. What courses will I take as an aerospace engineering student at UCLA?

As an aerospace engineering student at UCLA, you will take a variety of courses in math, physics, mechanics, materials, and computer science. In addition, you will also take specialized courses in aerospace engineering, such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and flight dynamics. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills needed for a career in aerospace engineering.

4. Are there any research opportunities in the aerospace engineering program at UCLA?

Yes, there are numerous research opportunities for aerospace engineering students at UCLA. The university has several research centers and labs dedicated to aerospace engineering, and students can get involved in projects ranging from designing and building aircraft to developing new materials and technologies for space exploration. These research opportunities allow students to gain valuable hands-on experience and work alongside faculty members on cutting-edge projects.

5. What career options are available for graduates of UCLA's aerospace engineering program?

Graduates of UCLA's aerospace engineering program have a wide range of career options in the aerospace industry. They can work in aircraft and spacecraft design, manufacturing, testing, and maintenance. They can also pursue careers in research and development, government agencies, and consulting firms. Many graduates also go on to pursue higher education in aerospace engineering or related fields.