This is not a pee joke (asparagus causing urine odor)

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the science behind the phenomenon of asparagus pee and how it can be detected. There is no need for a genetic basis to the phenomenon, as food molecules that are ingested and then released into the bloodstream can alter the smell and taste of the urine.
Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting, and yes. I am glad we are discovering the cause. Next step: genetically modified non-stink-pee asparagus.

I can. I learned I wasn't weird for it earlier this year thanks to MinuteEarth.

Asparagus always reminded me of beta mercaptoethanol.
After I first smelled it (beta mercaptoethanol) in a molecular biology lab.

jim mcnamara said:
@Andy Resnick - yup - thought I said smell.

I wonder if the test subjects had to smell someone else's pee...

Student100 said:
I surprised about all the hate it gets in the article, I think it smells good. Like rainbows.:rainbow:
giphy.gif

Related to This is not a pee joke (asparagus causing urine odor)

1. Why does asparagus cause urine odor?

Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called asparagusic acid. When the body breaks down this compound, it produces a sulfur-containing chemical called mercaptan. Mercaptan is also found in skunk spray and is responsible for the distinct odor.

2. Why can some people smell the asparagus odor in urine while others cannot?

The ability to smell the asparagus odor in urine is determined by genetics. Some people have a specific genetic variation that allows them to produce and detect the sulfur compounds in asparagus, while others do not. It is estimated that about 40% of the population has this genetic variation.

3. Is the urine odor from eating asparagus harmful?

No, the urine odor from eating asparagus is completely harmless. It is simply a result of the body breaking down the sulfur compounds in asparagus. However, if you notice a strong or foul odor in your urine that is not from eating asparagus, it is recommended to consult a doctor.

4. Does cooking asparagus reduce the urine odor?

Yes, cooking asparagus can reduce the urine odor. When asparagus is cooked, some of the sulfur compounds are broken down and released into the air, rather than being metabolized and excreted in urine. This results in a less intense urine odor.

5. How long does the urine odor from eating asparagus last?

The urine odor from eating asparagus can last anywhere from a few hours to a day. This can vary depending on the individual's metabolism and the amount of asparagus consumed. Drinking plenty of water can help flush out the sulfur compounds and reduce the duration of the odor.