Understand the mechanism of capillarity

• Thread starter Ahmed Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary: Zero net force, and it hangs there stationary. The book is exactly the same.Another question: Is there any difference between surface tension and intermolecular(between like and unlike molecules) attraction?Surface tension is one type of intermolecular attraction. It is the force between the molecules on the surface of a liquid. There are other types of intermolecular forces, such as London dispersion forces and dipole-dipole interactions. Surface tension specifically refers to the tension or force on the surface of a liquid due to the cohesive forces between the molecules on the surface.
Ahmed Abdullah
I can't convince myself that I understand the mechanism of capillarity.
Say the liquid is of that type that rises through a capillary tube. So it's contact angle should be an acute angle.
Liquid molecules on the surface (in contact of gas) exert a force on the wall (of capilary tube) due to surface tension. According to Newtons third law the wall also exert an equal and opposite force on the molecules in contact. These molecules are also attracted by a same force by their neibouring molecules. These two force should cancel each other, if so then we should not observe the rise...

the book on the table feels a reaction force upward due to its weight, but it does not rises up. Same idea. The molecules in contact with the wall are constantly under the force, it is exerting on the wall. The wall only does something to make things steady. But why there is a rise?

I am sure I am missing something or i have some fundamental misconceptions about the source of surface tension...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Abdullah said:
I can't convince myself that I understand the mechanism of capillarity.
Say the liquid is of that type that rises through a capillary tube. So it's contact angle should be an acute angle.
Liquid molecules on the surface (in contact of gas) exert a force on the wall (of capilary tube) due to surface tension. According to Newtons third law the wall also exert an equal and opposite

--- and, tow cables push cars, planes, ships; fishing lines push fish --- careful that you don't substitute intuition for Newton's third.

force on the molecules in contact. These molecules are also attracted by a same force by their neibouring molecules. These two force should cancel

They do; this is what makes capillary rise useful for measuring surface tension.

each other, if so then we should not observe the rise...

the book on the table feels a reaction force upward due to its weight, but it does not rises up. Same idea.

Mass of fluid lifted above surface level outside the capillary provides the reaction force to the surface tension force lifting it in the capillary (or depressing it --- Hg in glass).

The molecules in contact with the wall are constantly under the force, it is exerting on the wall. The wall only does something to make things steady. But why there is a rise?

I am sure I am missing something or i have some fundamental misconceptions about the source of surface tension...

Bystander said:
Mass of fluid lifted above surface level outside the capillary provides the reaction force to the surface tension force lifting it in the capillary (or depressing it --- Hg in glass).

Can you simply show how the net force over the liquid ( in a capillary tube) is 2*pi*rcos(theta)*T?

Last edited:
Ahmed Abdullah said:
Can you simply show how the net force over the liquid ( in a capillary tube) is 2*pi*rcos(theta)*T?

If a rhetorical question: yes.

If a question of your understanding: what part of the expression do you not understand?

For a rise the liquid must feel some net upward force.
It is said that 2*pi*rcos(theta)*T is the net upward force. But how? The liquid molecules in contact with the wall attract the wall. It is the tension force. The wall also attract the molecules ( it is the reaction force ). So the water molecules are attracted from every direction. So there is no imbalance of force. This part is bothering me.
Hope you understand the problem...

Another question: Is there any difference between surface tension and intermolecular(between like and unlike molecules) attraction?
I think the surface tension is due to the extra attraction among surface molecules.

Ahmed Abdullah said:
For a rise the liquid must feel some net upward force.

At equilibrium there is zero net force; the upward force, from tension, equals the reaction force, mass of liquid displaced upward times g.

It is said that 2*pi*rcos(theta)*T is the net upward force. But how? The liquid molecules in contact with the wall attract the wall. It is the tension force. The wall also attract the molecules ( it is the reaction force ).

No. It is another way of describing the tension force. The reaction force is provided by gravity.

So the water molecules are attracted from every direction. So there is no imbalance of force. This part is bothering me.
Hope you understand the problem...

Equilibrium. Zero net force --- you hang your coat on a hook on the wall --- gravity pulls it down and the hook pulls it up --- zero net force, and it hangs there stationary. You hang the liquid on the wall of the capillary --- gravity pulls it down and surface tension pulls it up.

Related to Understand the mechanism of capillarity

1. How does capillarity work?

Capillarity is the process by which a liquid, such as water, moves through small spaces or tubes, such as the pores in a solid material. This movement is driven by the forces of cohesion and adhesion, which cause the liquid molecules to stick together and to the surface of the material, respectively. As the liquid is drawn into the small spaces, it creates a concave meniscus, which allows it to travel upwards against the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect capillarity?

The rate and extent of capillary action can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the surface tension and density of the liquid, the size and shape of the pores, and the properties of the material itself. Temperature and humidity can also play a role in capillarity, as they can affect the surface tension and evaporation rate of the liquid.

3. Why is understanding capillarity important?

Capillarity plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of water through soil and plants, the rise of sap in trees, and the functioning of the human circulatory system. Additionally, understanding the mechanisms of capillarity is essential in fields such as materials science, engineering, and biotechnology, where it is used to control and manipulate the movement of liquids.

4. Can capillarity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, capillary action can be observed in a variety of everyday situations. For example, when a paper towel soaks up a spill, when a sponge absorbs water, or when a flower draws up water through its stem. Capillarity can also be seen in the formation of dew on surfaces and in the rise of groundwater to the surface.

5. How is capillarity related to surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a stretched elastic membrane. In the case of capillarity, the surface tension of the liquid creates a meniscus at the interface between the liquid and the solid material. This meniscus, along with the forces of cohesion and adhesion, is responsible for the movement of the liquid through the pores of the material.