Understanding Support of Convolution: Does the Equality Hold?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about showing that for two distributions $u$ and $v$ on $\mathbb{R}^n$, at least one of which has compact support, $supp(u \ast v) = supp u + supp v$. There is a question about whether the equality holds or if it only holds that $supp(u \ast v) \subset supp u + supp v$. The speaker has found a proof for the latter and is asking for clarification on certain parts, such as how to show that one of the supports is closed and why proving that the restriction of $u \ast v$ to $\mathbb{R}^n \setminus (supp u+ supp v)$ is
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $u$ and $v$ be two distributions on $\mathbb{R}^n$, at least one of which has compact support. I have to show that $supp(u \ast v)=supp u + supp v$.

But does the equality hold? Or does it only hold that $supp(u \ast v) \subset supp u + supp v$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For $supp(u \ast v) \subset supp u + supp v$ I have found the following proof:

View attachment 5401
First of all, we know that one of the $supp u, supp v$ has compact support. How do we know that the other one is closed?Furthermore, why will we have proven that $supp(u \ast v)=supp u+ supp v$, by showing that the restriction of $u \ast v$ to the open set $\mathbb{R}^n \setminus{(supp u+ supp v)}$ is $0$?

Also could you explain to me the explanation why the restriction of $u \ast v$ to the above set is $0$ ? I haven't really understood it.
Also, if equality holds could you give me a hint how to show that $supp u+ supp v \subset supp(u \ast v)$ ?

Attachments

• proof5.JPG
    proof5.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 53
Ok, I got it.
But could you explain me the rest, i.e. the part [m] But this is immediate... $x+y \in supp u+ supp v$[/m] ?View attachment 5413

Attachments

• 38509_aCBJ3.jpg
    38509_aCBJ3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 45

Related to Understanding Support of Convolution: Does the Equality Hold?

1. What is the concept of equality in science?

The concept of equality in science refers to the idea that two or more things are exactly the same in all aspects. This means that they have the same properties, characteristics, and qualities.

2. Why is it important to test if the equality holds?

Testing if the equality holds is important because it allows us to verify if our theories and hypotheses are accurate and reliable. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles and laws that govern the natural world.

3. How do scientists determine if the equality holds?

Scientists determine if the equality holds through experiments and observations. They carefully design and conduct experiments to compare and contrast different variables and determine if they are equal or not. They also use mathematical and statistical tools to analyze and interpret their findings.

4. What happens if the equality does not hold?

If the equality does not hold, it means that there are differences between the things being compared. This could lead to a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms and may also require scientists to revise their theories or hypotheses.

5. Can the equality hold in all situations?

No, the equality may not hold in all situations. It depends on the specific variables and conditions being studied. In some cases, the equality may hold for one set of variables, but not for another. This is why it is important for scientists to carefully consider and analyze their data before drawing conclusions about the equality.