Understanding the Chain Rule: (df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule to obtain the right side of the equation (df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx) = df(x,y)/dx. The participants mention applying the chain rule to the right operand and obtaining the derivative of g(x)=f(x,y(x)). They also mention the use of partial derivatives in the equation.
Joseph1739
(df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx) = df(x,y)/dx

My book mentions the chain rule to obtain the right side of the equation, but I don't see how. The chain rule has no mention of addition. The furthest I got was applying the chain rule to the right operant resulting in:

df/dx + df/dx = 2(df/dx)

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph1739 said:
(df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx) = df(x,y)/dx

My book mentions the chain rule to obtain the right side of the equation, but I don't see how. The chain rule has no mention of addition. The furthest I got was applying the chain rule to the right operant resulting in:

df/dx + df/dx = 2(df/dx)
I'm trying to make sense of this equation.

The only thing I can think of is this:
##f## is a function of two variables, ##x## and ##y##, and then they consider that ##y## is some function of ##x##.
What they actually compute is the derivative of ##g(x)=f(x,y(x))##.
For that, the chain rule can be used, giving:
##\frac{dg}{dx}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx} ##.

It's a little confusing, as ##y## is both the name of the second variable and considered a function of ##x##. And they don't use a new name ##g##, but keep ##f##.
That's how they get ##\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx} ##.

It's somewhat sloppy, as they don't use ##\partial## for what clearly must be partial derivatives.

Related to Understanding the Chain Rule: (df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx)

What is the Chain Rule and when is it used?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when a function is composed of two or more functions, and we want to find the rate of change of the overall function with respect to one of its variables.

How do you apply the Chain Rule?

To apply the Chain Rule, we first identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.

What do the symbols (df/dx) + (df/dy)* (dy/dx) represent in the Chain Rule equation?

The symbols (df/dx) and (df/dy) represent the derivatives of the outer function with respect to the inner function, while (dy/dx) represents the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest. The plus sign indicates that these derivatives should be added together to find the final derivative.

What are some common mistakes when using the Chain Rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function when applying the Chain Rule. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations when multiplying derivatives.

Can the Chain Rule be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be extended to functions with more than two variables by using partial derivatives. The same principle applies, where the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function is multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.