Unlock the Superbrain: Discover a Sixth Sense for Numbers

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: Actually I suspect your original error is that you reversed the order of... synesthesia and addition. You said synesthesia was something that was added, while in fact it is something that is added to other abilities.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I couldn't spot a write up on this but it is worth the watch. This person, called a superbrain, seems to have a sixth sense about numbers.
http://media.science.discovery.com/convergence/brainman/videogallery/videogallery.html?click=sci_leftnav

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yeah, I saw this a while ago - perhaps on regular Discovery. He gets various visual images of the numbers. I don't remember them talking much about any consequences of their work with him. What could come of it?

savantism vs g

Ivan Seeking said:
This person
Daniel Tammet.

Ivan Seeking said:
called a superbrain
He is called a savant. The word superbrain might seem to imply that an individual in question has a strongly expressed , not that he has brain damage.

mylifeasafischer.com/archives.php?month=2&year=2005

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understood things correctly, they indicated that he doesn't meet the specific requirements to be called a savant. This is due to his enhanced social and communication skills.

He appears to be a savant, but not necessarily an autistic-savant.

Daniel Tammet - The Incredible Brain
Address:http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/danieltammet.html

His story corroborates a study I once found of four or five individuals whose I.Q. was noted to have improved after their seizures started.

Is he autistic? No one has come up with a good explanation of the cause of autism, what exactly is wrong with an autistic person's brain, so I think it is an umbrella diagnosis and that several distinct root problems with similar symptoms are encompassed. A seizure disorder is a very common concommitant of autism.

Neither seizures nor brain damage make people more intelligent. The explanation for the improved I.Q. lies in the fact that people with deficits often adopt a policy of taking extra care to overcompensate for the deficits. Tammet has the added mnemonic device of synesthesia to aid his memory.

zoobyshoe said:
Neither seizures nor brain damage make people more intelligent. The explanation for the improved I.Q. lies in the fact that people with deficits often adopt a policy of taking extra care to overcompensate for the deficits. Tammet has the added mnemonic device of synesthesia to aid his memory.

How does one add synesthesia? Is this your theory or something that we know for a fact?

Ivan Seeking said:
How does one add synesthesia?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Who said anyone added synesthesia?

zoobyshoe said:
Who said anyone added synesthesia?
Now I'm confused!
Tammet has the added mnemonic device of synesthesia to aid his memory.

Mk said:
Now I'm confused!
"Synaesthetists have a natural advantage when it comes to memory because the brain is more likely to record something in the long term when it ties in with the senses. An event or an object is more memorable when it has sounds, pictures, texture and particularly smell associated with it."
That is from this link about Tammet:
Remembrance of numbers past
Address:http://plus.maths.org/issue31/features/eastaway/index-gifd.html
He has synaesthesia. Therefore, he has the added benefits of it, that is: added to his other powers of concentration. No one artificially added it, though.

On a related note, when I was in class 11, I had a friend who could do amazingly fast mental arithemitic. When, we asked him what 2^92 was, he almost instantly wrote down 28 digits on a piece of paper. When we tried checking with the calculator, the mantissa part matched exactly. If I had not seen that, I would have never believed that it was possible!
hitssquad and zoobyshoe, the links were great!
From the article
"When I multiply numbers together, I see two shapes. The image starts to change and evolve, and a third shape emerges. That's the answer. It's mental imagery. It's like maths without having to think"
Wow!

zoobyshoe said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Who said anyone added synesthesia?

I didn't see synethesia mentioned by anyone but you. It isn't a sensory experience such as tasting shapes, etc, as is found with synesthesia.

Edit: Never mind, I hadn't seen the other link yet.

Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't see synethesia mentioned by anyone but you.
I don't know what that has to do with anything. It is clearly mentioned in the link I posted when I brought it up:
While considering the question, it was observed that, he appeared to be drawing shapes on the table with his finger. When asked about this, he explained that he could see the numbers as shapes and colours in his mind. This breakdown or confusion of the senses is known as synethsesia.
It isn't a sensory experience such as tasting shapes, etc, as is found with synesthesia.
From the second link I posted:
To him, (pi) is not an abstract set of digits, but instead it appears almost as a story or a film projecting in front of him. Tammet has a rare but well-documented syndrome called synaesthesia, in which the stimulation of one of the senses triggers a reaction in other senses too. Synaesthesia manifests itself in different ways, but in some people it means they get multiple sensory reactions when exposed to numbers.
Edit: Never mind, I hadn't seen the other link yet.
Actually I suspect your original error is that you reversed the order of the words "the" and "added" in your mind when you read this sentence: "Tammet has the added mnemonic device of..." and mistook me to be claiming he somehow artificially added this ability himself.

zoobyshoe said:
Actually I suspect your original error is that you reversed the order of the words "the" and "added" in your mind when you read this sentence: "Tammet has the added mnemonic device of..." and mistook me to be claiming he somehow artificially added this ability himself.

The first link that you posted said nothing about it. That was the source of confusion.

Ivan Seeking said:
The first link that you posted said nothing about it. That was the source of confusion.
The first link I posted clearly said synesthesia. I just quoted the exact words to you in my previous post.
Here it is, once again:
While considering the question, it was observed that, he appeared to be drawing shapes on the table with his finger. When asked about this, he explained that he could see the numbers as shapes and colours in his mind. This breakdown or confusion of the senses is known as synethsesia.
Here, once again, is the link:http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/misc/danieltammet.html

Related to Unlock the Superbrain: Discover a Sixth Sense for Numbers

1. What does "Unlock the Superbrain" mean?

"Unlock the Superbrain" refers to the idea that through practice and training, individuals can improve their cognitive abilities and develop a sixth sense for numbers. This means being able to quickly process and manipulate numerical information, leading to increased problem-solving and decision-making skills.

2. How can I discover a sixth sense for numbers?

Discovering a sixth sense for numbers requires regular practice and training. This can include activities such as mental math exercises, puzzles, and games that challenge the brain to think critically and quickly process numerical information. Additionally, incorporating number-related tasks into daily life, such as calculating tips or budgeting, can also help develop this sixth sense.

3. Is the sixth sense for numbers something that can be learned or is it innate?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards numbers, the sixth sense for numbers can also be developed through practice and training. Just like any other skill, with dedication and effort, anyone can improve their ability to process and manipulate numerical information.

4. What are the benefits of having a sixth sense for numbers?

Honing a sixth sense for numbers can have numerous benefits, both personally and professionally. It can lead to improved problem-solving skills, increased confidence in handling numerical tasks, and better decision-making abilities. It can also be useful in fields such as finance, science, and engineering, where quick and accurate numerical analysis is crucial.

5. Are there any tips for unlocking the superbrain and developing a sixth sense for numbers?

Some tips for unlocking the superbrain and developing a sixth sense for numbers include regularly practicing mental math and number-related activities, challenging oneself with new and difficult numerical tasks, and staying curious and engaged with numbers in daily life. Additionally, maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle can also contribute to overall cognitive function and help improve numerical abilities.