Wave equation and weird notation

In summary: Thanks!There is no explicit solution for the equation without using the Heaviside step function, but you can approximate it using the D'Alembert equation.
Markov2
I have $u_{tt}=u_{xx},$ $x\in\mathbb R,$ $t>0,$ $u(x,0)=0$ and $u_t(x,0)=\chi_{[-1,1]}(x).$
What does mean the last condition? In such case, how to solve the equation then?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
I have $u_{tt}=u_{xx},$ $x\in\mathbb R,$ $t>0,$ $u(x,0)=0$ and $u_t(x,0)=\chi_{[-1,1]}(x).$
What does mean the last condition? In such case, how to solve the equation then?

Thanks!

$\chi$ is called the "characteristic function". It's an indicator function, defined as follows:

$$\chi_{A}(x)=\begin{cases}1,\quad x\in A\\ 0,\quad x\not\in A\end{cases}.$$

In your case, the function $\chi_{[-1,1]}(x)$ looks like a box function. It comes in from negative infinity at zero, bumps up to $1$ at $x=-1$, stays $1$ until $x=1$, and then drops back down to zero and stays there for the rest of the positive real axis. It looks like this.

I am not competent enough to help you solve your problem, however. Jester would be the man.

As Ackbach said (via his link to wolfram) convert the IC using a pair of Heaviside step functions

$u_t(0,x) = g(x) = H(x+1) - H(x-1)$

then use the D'Alembert solution

$\displaystyle u = \frac{f(x+t)+f(x-t)}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t} g(s)ds$.

Okay, I'm almost there, in this case, we have $f=0,$ the solution is just $u(x,t)=\dfrac12\displaystyle\int_{x-c}^{x+c}g(s)\,ds,$ and $g(s)$ should be expressed as the Heaviside step functions as you mentioned, but I don't know how to make it work with the D'lembert formula.

Hint: $\displaystyle \int H(x)dx = x H(x) + c$.

I still don't get it very well, how to do it with $H(x+1)$ for example?

Thanks a lot!

$\displaystyle \int H(x+a)dx = (x+a) H(x+a) + c$

Okay I get that, since I have $u(x,t)=\dfrac12\displaystyle\int_{x-c}^{x+c}g(s)\,ds,$ so the solution equals $u(x,t)=\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t}{\left( H(s+1)-H(s-1) \right)\,ds},$ is that what you mean?

Yep, that it!

Hi, I'm currently studying this because I have a test tomorrow but I don't get very well the solution, is there a way to solve it without using the Heaviside step function?

Related to Wave equation and weird notation

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes how waves propagate through a medium. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of various types of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the significance of the weird notation used in the wave equation?

The weird notation used in the wave equation, such as the Greek letter delta (∆) and the partial derivative symbol (∂), is simply a shorthand way of representing complex mathematical concepts. This notation is commonly used in physics and engineering to make equations more concise and easier to work with.

3. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from the fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. It can also be derived using mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and Fourier analysis.

4. Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to all types of waves, as long as the medium through which the wave is propagating is continuous and homogeneous. This includes sound waves, light waves, and even ocean waves.

5. Is the wave equation a linear or nonlinear equation?

The wave equation is a linear equation, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. This allows for superposition, which means that the solution to the equation can be broken down into simpler parts and then added together to get the overall solution.