What Does Integrating the Derivative \(\int \frac{d}{dx} dx\) Equal?

In summary, autobot.d said that differentiation and integration are inverse operations, and that the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that these operations are inverse functions.
autobot.d
Just wondering what this is

[itex] \int\frac{d}{dx}dx [/itex]

What does this equal? Is it even allowed. I was thinking it is equal to identity,
which in my case is 1.
Is it equivalent to

[itex] \int\frac{dx}{dx} [/itex]

??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes no sense. The notation [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] is just the notation for taking the derivative of something. What you're writing

[tex]\int\frac{d}{dx}dx[/tex]

is taking the integral of a notation. It's not defined.

However,

[tex]\int \frac{df}{dx}dx[/tex]

IS defined: it is the integral of a function. The integral is equal to f (plus a constant).

What if I did something like this
[itex]\int\left(\frac{d\left(\int^{a\left(x\right)}_{0}f\left(x,y\right)dy\right)}{dx}\right)dx[/itex]
does this make sense?

Last edited:
I am saying that this will give me

[itex]\int^{a\left(x\right)}_{0}f\left(x,y\right)dy[/itex]

autobot.d said:
What if I did something like this
[itex]\int\left(\frac{d\left(\int^{a\left(x\right)}_{0}f\left(x,y\right)dy\right)}{dx}\right)dx[/itex]
does this make sense?

autobot.d said:
I am saying that this will give me

[itex]\int^{a\left(x\right)}_{0}f\left(x,y\right)dy[/itex]
No, it wouldn't. For one thing, that integral is a definite integral, a number, while your first integral will be a function of x.

Leibniz's rule:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(x,y)dy= f(x, \beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}- f(x, \alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dy[/tex]

In this particular example, the integral of the derivative would be
[tex]\int \left(f(x, a(x))\frac{da}{dx}\right)dx+ \int \int_a^{a(x)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dy dx[/tex]

Thanks for the help!

Integration of a Derivative and
Differentiation of an Integral
both result in the original function
AND
both allude to
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
That is that Integration and Differentiation are Inverse Functions

Actually, paulfr, I think it may be a good idea to be more careful:

I don't know how you would define integrals and derivatives as functions;

are you referring to definite, or indefinite integrals? If your integral is indefinite,

then the two processes cannot be inverses of each other, because the indefinite

integral of f' is f+C, for C real.

You also need to state that

f must be a.e continuous (or , having at-most countably-many discontinuities ) for

f' to be defined. The conditions for the FT Calculus for Lebesgue Integration is

a little different; I think f being absolutely-continuous is sufficient, but I think it

can be weakened.

Bacle
My statements are not meant to be taken in a strict Mathematical sense with all conditions stated.
I was trying to simplify for the student.

But it is true that ... informally ...
For a function to be Differentiable, continuity is necessary but NOT sufficient.
For a function to be Integrable, continuity IS sufficient but not necessary.

In general though, as I said, The Fundamental Rule of Calculus is
Differentiation and Integration are Inverse Operations/Functions/Processes
You can find this in any Calculus text.

Last edited:
Yes, Paulfr, I guess it is difficult for me to take off my Mathematical hat

and not address every possible case at times. Still, it is not too clear to me the level

of rigor that autobot.d wanted, so I just tried to complement/expand a bit , just

in case the OP wanted some more.

Related to What Does Integrating the Derivative \(\int \frac{d}{dx} dx\) Equal?

1. What is the basic concept of integration and differentiation?

The basic concept of integration and differentiation is that they are two inverse operations. Integration involves finding the area under a curve while differentiation involves finding the slope of a curve at a specific point. They are both fundamental concepts in calculus and are used to solve various problems in mathematics and science.

2. How do you integrate a derivative?

To integrate a derivative, you need to use the reverse of the power rule. This means that you need to find the original function by adding one to the power of the derivative and dividing by the new power. For example, if the derivative is 2x, the integral would be x^2. However, it's important to note that there are various other integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, that may be used depending on the complexity of the derivative.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a derivative?

The purpose of integrating a derivative is to find the original function from which the derivative was derived. This can be useful in various applications, such as finding the velocity from the acceleration, or finding the distance from the velocity. Integration also allows us to solve optimization problems and find the areas and volumes of various shapes.

4. Can integration and differentiation be applied to all functions?

Yes, integration and differentiation can be applied to all continuous functions. However, the complexity of the function may determine the difficulty of integrating or differentiating it. Some functions may require advanced techniques or even numerical methods to integrate or differentiate.

5. How can integration and differentiation be used in real-world applications?

Integration and differentiation have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, in physics, integration can be used to find the work done by a force, while differentiation can be used to find the velocity and acceleration of an object. In economics, integration can be used to find the total profit from a given production function, while differentiation can be used to find the marginal cost and revenue. In biology, integration can be used to find the population growth rate, while differentiation can be used to find the rate of change of a biological process.