What is Polarization? - Electric Field & EM Wave

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
In summary, polarization is a phenomenon that occurs in all transverse waves, where the displacement is perpendicular to the direction of movement. A polarizer, such as a Polaroid Polariser, only allows one specific perpendicular displacement to pass through. This can be determined by the angle of the displacement. The term "polarization" is used to describe this process.
captain
what is it exactly? is it the direction of the electric field when an electromagnetic wave propagates in a certain direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to measure the E-field at a fixed point as an EM wave moves past, you would find that the field oscillates in a particular direction. That direction is the polarization.

Well PolArisation is a term used to describe a phenomena found in all Transverse Waves. Now remember that transverse waves move in a direction but their displacement is perpendicular. Now what if these perpendicular displacements were in all directions - i.e. one perpendicular displacement at a certain angle and another at a different one etc. Now Polarisation only let's 1 of those perpendicular displacements through.

I hope I explained clearly. Nevertheless remember that Light is not only made of 1 Plane wave displacement... It is made of multiple ones. Now a Polaroid Polariser let's only one of those Displacements through...

prasannapakkiam said:
Well PolArisation is a term used to describe a phenomena found in all Transverse Waves. Now remember that transverse waves move in a direction but their displacement is perpendicular. Now what if these perpendicular displacements were in all directions - i.e. one perpendicular displacement at a certain angle and another at a different one etc. Now Polarisation only let's 1 of those perpendicular displacements through.
I hope I explained clearly. Nevertheless remember that Light is not only made of 1 Plane wave displacement... It is made of multiple ones. Now a Polaroid Polariser let's only one of those Displacements through...

(the underlined part is what i am emphasizing)

which one would it let though or rather how do you determine which will be let through, and also i am unclear about the fact that whether what the polaroid polarizer does is in fact polarization or not?

Related to What is Polarization? - Electric Field & EM Wave

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is a phenomenon in physics that describes the orientation of electric fields and electromagnetic waves. It refers to the direction in which the electric field oscillates as the wave propagates through space.

2. How is polarization different from electric fields?

Polarization is a property of electric fields, but it refers specifically to the direction in which the electric field oscillates. Electric fields, on the other hand, describe the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of an electric field.

3. What causes polarization?

Polarization can be caused by a number of factors, including the orientation of charged particles, the alignment of molecules, or the reflection or refraction of light. In general, polarization occurs when there is a preferred direction for the electric field to oscillate.

4. How is polarization related to electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves, which means that the oscillation of the electric and magnetic fields is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. Polarization refers specifically to the direction of the electric field oscillation, and this direction can be either parallel or perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

5. Why is polarization important?

Polarization has many practical applications, including in communication technologies such as antennas and satellite dishes. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light, as polarized light can reveal information about the material it interacts with. Additionally, polarization plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as optics, materials science, and quantum mechanics.