Why does this "clearly" solve the heat equation?

In summary, the heat equation on an infinite domain can be solved using the expression \sin{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t} or \cos{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}. However, it is not immediately clear how the solution u(x,t)=e^{-i\omega x}e^{-k\omega^2t} was derived. To figure this out, one can assume a trial solution of the form u(x,t) = sin(Ax) ⋅ exp (Bt) and use the Fourier transform to obtain an ODE. Solving this ODE and applying
jaskamiin
So one of my least favorite things that textbooks do is using the words "clearly", "it should be obvious", etc.

In my PDEs class, we've started the Fourier Transform, and I missed the first day of it so I am trying to read through my book. Regarding the heat equation on an infinite domain, it tells me this:

From our previous experience, we note that the expression [itex]\sin{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex] solves the heat equation [[itex]u_t=k\cdot u_{xx}[/itex]] for integer n, as well as [itex]\cos{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex]. In fact, it is clear tha
[tex]u(x,t)=e^{-i\omega x}e^{-k\omega^2t}[/tex]
solves [the heat equation as well], for arbitrary ω both positive and negative.​

It's not "clear" to me why this happens, so I tried 'deriving' this form for a bit by using [itex]\omega=\frac{n\pi}L[/itex] and writing both of the trig functions in their exponential forms[tex]\sin x = \frac 1 2(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})[/tex]
[tex]\cos x = \frac 1 2(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex]

(and with terms like [itex]e^{i\omega x}[/itex] as well) and added, multiplied, etc, but to no avail.

To be clear (no pun intended), I know that the [itex]e^{-k\omega^2t} [/itex] term is the same as the exponential term in both of the expressions which solve the equation, but I'm failing to see where [itex]e^{-i\omega x} [/itex] came into play.

Any advice as to how I can figure this out? (If possible, please give me some advice on 'deriving' it myself before giving a full answer?)

Physics news on Phys.org
jaskamiin said:
So one of my least favorite things that textbooks do is using the words "clearly", "it should be obvious", etc.

In my PDEs class, we've started the Fourier Transform, and I missed the first day of it so I am trying to read through my book. Regarding the heat equation on an infinite domain, it tells me this:

From our previous experience, we note that the expression [itex]\sin{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex] solves the heat equation [[itex]u_t=k\cdot u_{xx}[/itex]] for integer n, as well as [itex]\cos{\frac{n\pi x} L } e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex]. In fact, it is clear tha
[tex]u(x,t)=e^{-i\omega x}e^{-k\omega^2t}[/tex]
solves [the heat equation as well], for arbitrary ω both positive and negative.​

It's not "clear" to me why this happens, so I tried 'deriving' this form for a bit by using [itex]\omega=\frac{n\pi}L[/itex] and writing both of the trig functions in their exponential forms[tex]\sin x = \frac 1 2(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})[/tex]
[tex]\cos x = \frac 1 2(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})[/tex]

(and with terms like [itex]e^{i\omega x}[/itex] as well) and added, multiplied, etc, but to no avail.

To be clear (no pun intended), I know that the [itex]e^{-k\omega^2t} [/itex] term is the same as the exponential term in both of the expressions which solve the equation, but I'm failing to see where [itex]e^{-i\omega x} [/itex] came into play.

Any advice as to how I can figure this out? (If possible, please give me some advice on 'deriving' it myself before giving a full answer?)

If you assume that [itex]u (x, t) = \sin({\frac{n\pi x} L }) ⋅ e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex], then all you need to do is calculate ut and uxx and substitute these back into the original heat equation, [[itex]u_t=k\cdot u_{xx}[/itex]]. You don't have to convert sine or cosine into their exponential equivalents to do this, just use plain old partial differentiation with the product rule.

SteamKing said:
If you assume that [itex]u (x, t) = \sin({\frac{n\pi x} L }) ⋅ e^{-k(\frac{n\pi} L)^2t}[/itex], then all you need to do is calculate ut and uxx and substitute these back into the original heat equation, [[itex]u_t=k\cdot u_{xx}[/itex]]. You don't have to convert sine or cosine into their exponential equivalents to do this, just use plain old partial differentiation with the product rule.

I know how to plug it in, but I don't see where the solution that is the product of the exponentials comes from. How was it found?

jaskamiin said:
I know how to plug it in, but I don't see where the solution that is the product of the exponentials comes from. How was it found?
I really can't say. However, your textbook says, "From our previous experience, we note that ...", which leads me to believe that there is an earlier section in your text where such a solution was developed. Perhaps separation of variables was used, a common technique which is utilized to solve PDEs like this heat equation.

For this PDE, note that one side of the equation involves a derivative w.r.t. t, while the other side involves a second derivative w.r.t. x. The exponential function is solely a function of t while the trig function involves only x. If you differentiate sine or cosine twice, you get the same function back, just like you get back an exponential function if you differentiate an exponential function, plus some multiplicative constants, of course.

These facts would suggest that a trial solution of the form u(x,t) = sin(Ax) ⋅ exp (Bt) with the appropriate choice of the constants A and B would solve ut = k ⋅ uxx.

1. Fourier transform the equation over x, to get an ODE (with t as the variable) for the Fourier transform of the solution.
2. Solve this ODE. Get a nice expression for the Fourier transform of the final solution.
3. Inverse Fourier transform this expression.Step 1 gives:

[itex] \hat{u}_t = -k\omega^2\hat{u} [/itex]. Have used that the property of the Fourier transform: [itex] \mathcal{F}(\frac{du}{dx}) = (i\omega)\hat{u}[/itex].

Step 2 is solving this first order ODE for [itex] \hat{u}(\omega,t) [/itex].
Step 3 is applying the inverse Fourier transform to this solution.
[itex] u(x,t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int^\infty_\infty \exp(i\omega x)\hat{u}(\omega,t) d\omega [/itex]. You may need the following formula: [itex]\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-(ax^2+bx+c)} dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}} e^\frac{b^2-4ac}{4a}[/itex]

EDIT: Not implying that this should be "clearly obvious", though ^^

Last edited:
$$u(x,t)=e^{iωx}e^{-kω^2t}=(cos(ωx)+isin(ωx))e^{-kω^2t}=cos(ωx)e^{-kω^2t}+isin(ωx)e^{-kω^2t}$$
Each term of the final expression satisfies the differential equation individually.

Related to Why does this "clearly" solve the heat equation?

1. Why is the heat equation important in scientific research?

The heat equation is an essential tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of heat transfer in various physical systems. It is used in fields such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and materials science to analyze the diffusion of heat in a given system. This equation helps scientists to design and improve technologies that involve heat transfer, such as power plants and climate control systems.

2. How does the heat equation work?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes the change in temperature over time in a given system. It uses the principles of conservation of energy and Fourier's law of heat conduction to calculate the rate of heat transfer in a material. The equation takes into account factors such as the thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and initial temperature distribution of the system to determine the final temperature distribution.

3. Can the heat equation accurately model real-world scenarios?

The heat equation is a simplified mathematical representation of heat transfer and does not account for all the complexities of real-world scenarios. However, it can still provide reasonably accurate predictions for many systems, especially in steady-state situations with constant boundary conditions. In cases where the system is more complex, the heat equation can be modified or combined with other equations to improve its accuracy.

4. What are the limitations of the heat equation?

The heat equation assumes that the material being studied is homogeneous, isotropic, and has a constant thermal conductivity and heat capacity. These assumptions may not hold true for all real-world materials, which can lead to inaccuracies in the results. Additionally, the heat equation only considers heat transfer through conduction and does not account for other modes such as convection and radiation, which may be significant in some systems.

5. How is the heat equation used in different scientific fields?

The heat equation has various applications in different scientific fields. In physics and engineering, it is used to analyze heat transfer in materials and design efficient thermal systems. In geology, it helps to understand the thermal evolution of Earth and other planets. In chemistry, it is used to study the kinetics of chemical reactions involving heat transfer. In biology, the heat equation is used to model the thermal dynamics of living organisms and their environments.