Why Is u=y/x Treated as a Function of x Alone in ODE Differentiation?

• I
  • Thread starter KT KIM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Set
In summary: This follows the product rule for differentiation.In summary, when solving an ODE with the form y'=f(y/x), we can set y/x=u and y=ux. To differentiate, we use the product rule and differentiate everything with respect to x, resulting in y'=u+u'x. This is because x is being differentiated, and x' simplifies to 1.
KT KIM
I am studying ode now, and my text has that
If y'=f(y/x)
Then, setting y/x=u ; y=ux is a way to solve it.
I understand the idea, turn orignal form to separable form.

But I can't get the differentiation, Book says
y'=u'x+u by product rule which I already know.
Here my question is why u=y/x that obviously has two variables x & y, u(x,y) should be differentiated respect to x like it only has one variable x ( like u(x) )

Physics news on Phys.org
KT KIM said:
I am studying ode now, and my text has that
If y'=f(y/x)
Then, setting y/x=u ; y=ux is a way to solve it.
I understand the idea, turn orignal form to separable form.

But I can't get the differentiation, Book says
y'=u'x+u by product rule which I already know.
Here my question is why u=y/x that obviously has two variables x & y, u(x,y) should be differentiated respect to x like it only has one variable x ( like u(x) )
x is being differentiated.
Starting with y = ux, we differentiate everything with respect to x.
y' = ux' + u'x
Here, x' means ##\frac{d}{dx}x##, which simplifies to 1, leaving us with ##y' = u \cdot 1 + u'x = u + u'x##.

Related to Why Is u=y/x Treated as a Function of x Alone in ODE Differentiation?

What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems in science and engineering.

What does it mean to set y/x as y=ux?

Setting y/x as y=ux is a method for solving a first-order linear ODE. It involves rewriting the equation in the form y'=f(x,y), where f(x,y) is a function of both x and y. This allows us to use the substitution y=ux to solve the ODE.

Why is it useful to solve ODEs?

Solving ODEs allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is a fundamental tool in many branches of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics.

What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. A PDE (partial differential equation), on the other hand, describes the relationship between a function and its partial derivatives with respect to two or more independent variables.

Are there different methods for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are various methods for solving ODEs, including analytical methods (such as separation of variables and substitution) and numerical methods (such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods). The choice of method depends on the specific ODE and its initial/boundary conditions.