Young Double Slit Experiment Help

In summary, the individual is trying to recreate the Young double slit experiment at home using a laser pointer as the photon source. They are looking for ideas on what to use as a photon detector to create a graph or data table on their computer. Suggestions include using a normal screen, a digital oscilloscope, or converting a sound-card mic input. For a smaller stream of photons, polarizers could be used, but it may be difficult to isolate the small signal from optical noise. It is mentioned that this experiment is not trivial and would require a single photon source and detector. Ideas for a dim light source emitting only 1000 photons per second include a polarizer or a pair of polarizing sunglasses.
Edgewood11
I am trying to recreate the Young double slit experiment at my house with a laser. You could call it a homemade experiment I suppose. My question is if I use a laser pointer for my photon source what would I use as the photon detector. I want to have some sort of screen that can detect the photons as they hit the apparatus and then in return create a graph or data tale on my computer. Any ideas? I'm a junior in high school and extremely interested in the mysterious world of quantum physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a normal screen for just looking at - get your experiment going with that before figuring out what sort of detector you want for your computer.

However, if you are serious, then you can get a digital oscilloscope for your computer which you can add electronic devices to to act as detectors.
For that matter - you can convert your sound-card mic input t act as a low V, audio frequency oscilloscope in software.

Thanks! Any better ideas for my photon source? Id love to have a smaller stream of photons and it would amazing to be able to shoot individual photons

Maybe two polarizers set almost 90 degrees from one another? I think that might block almost all photons from getting through. Though with single photons you'd need a near perfectly light proof container along with something to detect the photons, such as a CCD or other digital imager.

Edgewood11 said:
Thanks! Any better ideas for my photon source? Id love to have a smaller stream of photons and it would amazing to be able to shoot individual photons

It is one thing to show the 2-slit interference (easy). It is a different world when you want to do this one photon at a time. The latter is not trivial.

For example, this is a typical undergraduate experiment dealing with such a demonstration:

http://www.teachspin.com/instruments/two_slit/index.shtml

Not only do you need a single photon source, you also need single-photon detector! If you use light-sensitive plates, then you now have the added complexity of need to do this in a totally dark enclosure.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welding goggles would be suitable as a high optical density filter as well.

On detection, a scattering screen and a CCD camera with a long exposure?

EDIT: Agree with ZapperZ; isolating the small signal from optical noise will be the biggest hurdle. Depending on photon flux, a CCD will probably need to be cooled. You can't beat a photomultiplier tube for sensitivity, but I'm guessing you don't have access to that.

Claude.

Last edited:
You can go a long way with backyard physics using surplus equipment, just google for Peter Terrin.

I think this is a case of: "how much money do you want to spend?"

To be honest I'm only 17 and I have no formal education in physics. I'm simply amazed by the quantum world. Likewise, I barely comprehend many of the terms in the replies. I'm not familiar with an of the equipment you guys are talking about lol.

Totally dark would be very challenging. The whole experiment may as well be performed within a dark box/container.

Edgewood11 said:
To be honest I'm only 17 and I have no formal education in physics. I'm simply amazed by the quantum world. Likewise, I barely comprehend many of the terms in the replies. I'm not familiar with an of the equipment you guys are talking about lol.

In that case I highly recommend just using a simple laser, double slit, and project it on the wall or simple screen.

Edgewood11 said:
Totally dark would be very challenging. The whole experiment may as well be performed within a dark box/container.

Yep. It would need to be in a container and you would need a digital camera or other device to detect the photons.

Great video thanks but the only issue with that is i must find a dim light (easy) and dark box (easy) and a very sensitive light detector (hard and expensive).

Edgewood11 said:
Great video thanks but the only issue with that is i must find a dim light (easy) and dark box (easy) and a very sensitive light detector (hard and expensive).

I wonder if a cell phone camera could work? I barely use mine so I don't know if you can control things like shutter speed and exposure time and whatnot.

A dark box and high exposure ccd sensor on a canon camera may be my best bet. As far as the single photon issue I think I have figured that out: use a very dim light source that only spits out a thousand photons a second. Sounds like a lot but light takes time to travel therefore it results in a single photon every .5 seconds.

My dad has a very high tech camera that I could easily adjust the shutter speed. In fact, I've messed with the feature several times before.

I think you have your math a little wrong. 1 thousand photons per second would result in 1 photon every 0.001 seconds on average. Speed would not affect this.

Yah I didn't even work it out I just guessed lol. The guy in the video gave the exact number but 1 photon every .001 seconds is actually not bad. It's closer to my 1 photon at a time goal. I can set the cameras shutter speed to capture a designated number of photons now that I know the frequency.

Have you considered a polarizer? Laser light should be all the same, so a single polarizer might be able to be rotated to block almost all of the light. Heck, a pair of polarizing sunglasses may work if the light is linearly polarized.

What's the object of the polarizer? To make the stream of photons more concentrated? I just need help finding a dim light that would emit only 1000 photons a second

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

Using a polarizer may block enough of the photons to reduce the rate to only a few photons per second. I don't know for sure if this would work in your setup, but I think it's worth a look.

Related to Young Double Slit Experiment Help

What is the Young Double Slit Experiment?

The Young Double Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a light source through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the purpose of the Young Double Slit Experiment?

The purpose of the Young Double Slit Experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and to study the concept of interference, where waves can either reinforce or cancel each other out. It also helps to support the wave theory of light over the particle theory.

What are the materials needed for the Young Double Slit Experiment?

The materials needed for the Young Double Slit Experiment include a light source (such as a laser), a barrier with two slits, a screen to observe the interference pattern, and tools to measure the distance between the slits and the screen. A dark room is also recommended for better observation.

What are the key principles behind the Young Double Slit Experiment?

The Young Double Slit Experiment is based on the principles of wave-particle duality, which suggests that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. It also demonstrates the concept of superposition, where waves can overlap and interfere with each other.

What are some real-world applications of the Young Double Slit Experiment?

The Young Double Slit Experiment has been used in various applications such as diffraction gratings in optics, electron microscopy, and even in the development of quantum computers. It has also helped scientists understand the behavior of light and other wave-like phenomena in nature.