Pin-jointed structure - Mechanics of Solids

In summary: Can you get it? Once you can get all support reactions on this truss, you must know how to apply the 'method of joints' to get internal member forces.
furv

Homework Statement

"A force F of magnitude 90 kN is applied at point C at an angle of 45°. The pin-joint B may be assumed to be resting on frictionless rollers. Determine the reaction forces at A and B"

Image of the diagram here: http://i.imgur.com/jUL0rJe.jpg?1

Homework Equations

two force principle
three force principle
sum of moments = 0
sum of X components = 0
sum of Y components = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started to try and fill in the free body diagram and considered AB. B is on frictionless rollers, so to stay in equilibrium I thought the reaction force must only be able to act vertically. At A I don't know the direction of the reaction force so I just drew in arrows for the X and Y components, At D I again had it perpendicular to AB vertically up ( not sure if this was correct ). I then resolved horizontally and vertically; Y: Ya+Rd+Rb=0 X: Xa = 0. Then I took moments about A : Rd(4.5)+Rb(9)=0. There's too many unknowns to solve so i know i have to resolve somewhere else but I'm not sure about the directions of the forces acting on C to try and resolve AC or CB.. Maybe I'm going about it completely wrong, as already it feels wrong having the X component of A being 0 if I look at the rest of the diagram.

Any help will be greatly appreaciated

Physics news on Phys.org
furv said:

Homework Statement

"A force F of magnitude 90 kN is applied at point C at an angle of 45°. The pin-joint B may be assumed to be resting on frictionless rollers. Determine the reaction forces at A and B"

Image of the diagram here: http://i.imgur.com/jUL0rJe.jpg?1

Homework Equations

two force principle
three force principle
sum of moments = 0
sum of X components = 0
sum of Y components = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started to try and fill in the free body diagram and considered AB.
Your very first free body diagram should look at the entire truss with a force F applied at C as shown, and unknown external forces at the supports.
B is on frictionless rollers, so to stay in equilibrium I thought the reaction force must only be able to act vertically.
yes, that is correct, the roller cannot support any force parallel to its 'wheels'.
At A I don't know the direction of the reaction force so I just drew in arrows for the X and Y components.
yes, and it is a good idea to indicate ther direction if possible , which is simply determined in ths case.
At D I again had it perpendicular to AB vertically up ( not sure if this was correct ).
there is no external support at D, so don't put one in there.
I then resolved horizontally and vertically; Y: Ya+Rd+Rb=0
there is no Rd when looking at the system in a FBD. And what happened to the y component of F?
X: Xa = 0.
No-o, what happened to the x component of F
Then I took moments about A : Rd(4.5)+Rb(9)=0. There's too many unknowns to solve so i know i have to resolve somewhere else but I'm not sure about the directions of the forces acting on C to try and resolve AC or CB.. Maybe I'm going about it completely wrong, as already it feels wrong having the X component of A being 0 if I look at the rest of the diagram.

Any help will be greatly appreaciated
Find support reactions first , in terms of F, after first breaking F into its x and y components. After you get support reactions by summing moments = 0, then you can get internal member forces using 'method of joints'. Note also: what is the force in CD?

Related to Pin-jointed structure - Mechanics of Solids

1. What is a pin-jointed structure?

A pin-jointed structure, also known as a truss, is a type of structure that is made up of interconnected members joined together at their endpoints with pins or hinges. This allows the structure to be stable while also being able to resist external forces.

2. What is the significance of pin-jointed structures in mechanics of solids?

Pin-jointed structures are significant in the study of mechanics of solids because they provide a simplified way to analyze and understand the behavior of more complex structures. They also serve as the basis for more advanced structural analysis methods.

3. What are the assumptions made in analyzing pin-jointed structures?

The main assumptions made in analyzing pin-jointed structures are that the members are connected with frictionless and weightless pins, and that the structure is loaded only at the joints. Additionally, it is assumed that the members are only subjected to axial forces and do not bend or deform.

4. How are pin-jointed structures analyzed in mechanics of solids?

Pin-jointed structures are typically analyzed using the method of joints or the method of sections. These methods involve breaking the structure down into smaller parts and applying equations of equilibrium to determine the internal forces in each member.

5. What are some real-world applications of pin-jointed structures?

Pin-jointed structures are commonly used in bridges, towers, and roofs. They are also used in the construction of cranes, scaffolding, and other temporary structures. In addition, they can be found in everyday objects such as bicycles and trampolines.