Basic Q's Net Force and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a person questioning the correctness of the answers given in a teacher's guide for a homework problem. The person provides their own answers and compares them to the ones in the guide. The conversation concludes with the person thanking someone else for agreeing with their answers.
kstbts

Homework Statement

akvdoo.jpg

Homework Equations

I am wondering if the answers given in the teacher's guide are incorrect.
Ans given for #2: [All same], [A,C,B,D]
Ans given for #3: [A,C,D,B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answers:
#2a: Net forces: A,B,C are 5N; D is 10N. Therefore the order of the net forces from greatest to least is D, followed by A,B,C which are equal.
#2b: Their accelerations are a) 5N/5kg=1m/s2 b) 5N/10kg=0.5m/s2 c) 5N/5kg=1m/s2 d) 10N/20kg=0.5m/s2. Therefore the order of their accelerations from greatest to least would be A&C, which are the same, followed by B&D which are the same. Admittedly, the teacher's guide could be saying the same thing for this second part of the answer, but I can't be certain since their answer says nothing about A=C and B=D.
#3: Accelerations are:
a) a=(1000N-800N)/(1000N/9.8)=1.96m/s2
b) a=1.23 m/s2
c) a=1.4 m/s2
d) a= 0.98 m/s2
Therefore the order from greatest to least is A,C,B,D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kstbts. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I like your answers, they are the same as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NascentOxygen.

FAQ: Basic Q's Net Force and Acceleration

What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. It is calculated by adding all of the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that as the net force increases, the acceleration of the object also increases.

How do you determine the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration is determined by the direction of the net force acting on the object. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, the acceleration will be in the same direction. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the object's motion, the acceleration will be in the opposite direction.

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object is speeding up, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object is slowing down. The sign of the acceleration depends on the direction of the net force acting on the object.

How do you calculate acceleration from a force vs. time graph?

The slope of a force vs. time graph represents the acceleration of an object. This can be calculated by dividing the change in force by the change in time (a = ∆F/∆t). Alternatively, the area under the curve on the graph can also be used to calculate the acceleration.

Back