2 Super Hard Rotational Motion Problems

In summary: I know I've been guilty of this too- I feel your pain!)In summary, the car can have a speed range of +/-v due to the static friction between the car and the road. If the radius of curvature is increased to 100m, the speed range becomes +/-v+10. If the banking angle is increased to 10(theta), the speed range becomes +/-v+10+10(theta). If the coefficient of static friction is increased to [mu], the speed range becomes +/-v+10+[mu]
ScoutFCM
1.) A car rounds a banked curve where the radius of curvature for the road is R, the banking angle is 0(theta), and the coefficient of static friction is [mu]. (a) Determine the range of speeds the car can have without slipping up or down the road. (b) What is the range of speeds possible if R = 100m, 0(theta)=10, and [mu]=0.10 (slippery conditions)?

2.) In a popular amusement park ride, a rotating cylinder of radium 3.00m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 5.00rad/s. The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rdier's clothing and the wall is needed to keep the rider from slipping? (hint: recall that the magnitude of the max force of static friction is equal to [mu]n, where n is the normal force - in this case, the force causing the centripetal acceleration.

DAMN YOU ROTATIONAL MOTION AND CENTRIPETAL ACCELERATION. I HATE YOU!$!$!)(

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, take a crack at them and show your work. Demonstrate that you know something about Fnet = ma, centripetal acceleration, and friction.

Start, as always, by identifying all the forces acting on the objects in question. (Car in 1; rider in 2) Have fun!

Don't look all that "super-hard" to me- just apply the formulas that you already know:

1. F= ma and, for a friction coefficient of μ, F= mμ. Since the road is banked at angle θ, there is a force down the slope of mg cos(&theta). In order not to slip downward, You must have
ma> mg cos(&theta)- m&mu; and in order not to slip upward, you must have ma< mg cos(&theta)+ m&mu; You also should know the formula for the acceleration of a car going around a circle at constant speed. Put that in for a and solve for v.

2. Friction force is &mu; time "normal force". In this case the normal force is ma where a is the "acceleration" due to the rotation around a circle at constant speed (you'll need that formula again).
The friction force, &mu;(ma) must be at least the force of gravity, mg. Solve &mu;ma= mg for &mu;

DAMN YOU ROTATIONAL MOTION AND CENTRIPETAL ACCELERATION. I HATE YOU!$!$!)(

Yeah, It's just awful when people expect you to actually learn how to apply formulas!

FAQ: 2 Super Hard Rotational Motion Problems

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or pivot point. It can involve both linear and angular movement.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of planets around the sun.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion can involve both linear and angular velocity, while linear motion only involves linear velocity.

4. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second and is typically denoted by the symbol ω.

5. How can I solve difficult rotational motion problems?

To solve difficult rotational motion problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and equations related to rotational motion. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams and break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

Back