About the excited state of an electron

In summary, the way a photon hits an electron in Compton scattering can affect the speed of the electron, but in absorption, the momentum is absorbed by the nucleus while the energy drives the electronic transition.
oguz
hi everyone, I'm a beginner in QM and I have a question.

we know that when an electron is hit by a photon, it gains the photon's energy and goes up to the excited state. Here is my question:

according to the compton effect, we can interpret the collision of a photon and an electron just like collision of billiard balls, energy and the momentum is conserved. So isn't it important the way the photon hits the electron, so it could slow down or speed up the electron.

thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
So isn't it important the way the photon hits the electron, so it could slow down or speed up the electron.
You must not think of electron as orbiting around proton like planets around the Sun. Instead, think as if electron stays near proton. Or rather, that an electron is a ping-pong ball inside a glass half-filled with water. If you add some water to the glass, a ball will go up, no matter from which direction you will be adding it. Right?

oguz said:
hi everyone, I'm a beginner in QM and I have a question.

we know that when an electron is hit by a photon, it gains the photon's energy and goes up to the excited state. Here is my question:

according to the compton effect, we can interpret the collision of a photon and an electron just like collision of billiard balls, energy and the momentum is conserved. So isn't it important the way the photon hits the electron, so it could slow down or speed up the electron.

thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english.

In Compton scattering, the photon is scattered off the electron, and both the photon and electron still exist after the event. In absorption, the photon is destroyed, and its energy and momentum are absorbed by the atom to drive the electron to a higher bound state. As I understand it, the momentum of the photon is absorbed by the massive nucleus, while the energy goes into driving the electronic transition.

FAQ: About the excited state of an electron

1. What is the excited state of an electron?

The excited state of an electron refers to when an electron has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level in its orbit around the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does an electron become excited?

An electron can become excited through various processes such as absorption of light or heat, collisions with other particles, or chemical reactions.

3. What happens to an electron when it is in an excited state?

When an electron is in an excited state, it has a higher energy level and is more unstable. It will eventually release the excess energy and return to its ground state.

4. What is the significance of the excited state of an electron?

The excited state of an electron is important for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is also essential in many technological applications, such as lasers and LED lights.

5. How is the excited state of an electron related to chemical reactions?

The excited state of an electron can play a crucial role in chemical reactions, particularly for reactions involving light or heat. In these reactions, the absorbed energy can cause the electron to move to a higher energy level, which can lead to the formation of new compounds.