Acceleration of air threw a funnel

In summary, the acceleration of air through a funnel is a process that involves the increase in velocity and decrease in pressure of air as it passes through a constricted space. This phenomenon is a result of the Bernoulli's principle, which states that the speed of a fluid increases as its pressure decreases. Funnel-shaped structures are commonly used in various applications, such as in ventilation systems, air intake systems, and wind tunnels. The acceleration of air through a funnel can also produce a suction effect, which can be harnessed for various purposes, including lifting objects and generating power.
Ed Lenarduzzi
You have a cylindrical chamber with a 5cm ID and 55cc capacity filled to 4,000psi of air at 70*F and want to released the air threw a tube of .5cm ID. What's the initial velocity (in fps please) as the air leaves the chamber's end directly threw the .5cm tube? What's the initial velocity as the air leaves the same chamber end if it's shaped like a funnel for say half the length of the chamber out the .5cm tube? I don't know what it's called but the funnel is horn shaped. No real accuracy is required as it mostly a hypothetical question.
Thanks, Ed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

At that pressure, there is only one answer: the speed of sound (about 1100 fpm).

Also, you don't actually intend to do this, do you? It is very dangerous.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

At that pressure, there is only one answer: the speed of sound (about 1100 fpm).

Also, you don't actually intend to do this, do you? It is very dangerous.

Thank you for your concern but it's done all the time with precharged pneumatic air rifles. In fact this rifle shot a pellet near mach 2.
My real question is how much faster would it have gone if the air chamber had a funnel horn before the barrel or would it have made any difference at all.

I don't have a post secondary education so I don't know if I asked an impossibly difficult question.
Perhaps this is the sort of question that's more easily answered by an experimentation that math.

And what he is saying is that with that sort of pressure, the answer is simply that the flow will be moving with the local speed of sound. It will be what we call choked flow. The local sound speed, in turn, will depend on the temperature. The only way you could give it a faster velocity would be to add a diverging section.

boneh3ad said:
And what he is saying is that with that sort of pressure, the answer is simply that the flow will be moving with the local speed of sound. It will be what we call choked flow. The local sound speed, in turn, will depend on the temperature. The only way you could give it a faster velocity would be to add a diverging section.
The air must be going faster than the speed of sound if it is driving a pellet out the muzzle at 2,031fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWt5DnfYH3I&feature=player_embedded

That would imply that the design features a diverging section already.

boneh3ad said:
That would imply that the design features a diverging section already.
I don't know if you saw the video I included in my last message but it might show a 'diverging section' not that I don't know what that means.
Ed.

Last edited:
Ed Lenarduzzi said:
I don't know if you saw the video I included in my last message but it might show a 'diverging section' not that I don't know what that means.
Ed.
This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Laval_nozzle

I (we) suspect that this air rifle has already been carefully engineered for optimum exit velocity. Re-shaping the throat is unlikely to help increase the velocity.

Thank you so much gentleman. Your answers confirmed what I've already been told on the Canadian Airgun Forum.
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic71812.html
Apparently I was wrong that a horn shaped funnel would help accelerate the air through the barrel.
Ed.

Likes russ_watters

FAQ: Acceleration of air threw a funnel

1. What is acceleration of air through a funnel?

The acceleration of air through a funnel refers to the increase in speed of air as it moves through a narrow, conical-shaped structure. This acceleration is caused by the narrowing of the funnel, which forces the same amount of air to travel through a smaller space, resulting in increased velocity.

2. How does the shape of a funnel affect air acceleration?

The shape of a funnel greatly affects air acceleration. A conical-shaped funnel forces air to travel through a decreasing area, resulting in increased speed. A cylindrical-shaped funnel, on the other hand, does not change the area and therefore does not increase air acceleration.

3. What factors influence the acceleration of air through a funnel?

The acceleration of air through a funnel is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the funnel, the air pressure and temperature, and the viscosity of the air. Additionally, the angle of the funnel and the smoothness of its surface can also affect the acceleration of air.

4. Why is the acceleration of air through a funnel important?

The acceleration of air through a funnel is important in various scientific and practical applications. It is used in industries such as ventilation, air conditioning, and pneumatic systems, where the speed of airflow is crucial. It is also a key concept in fluid dynamics and can help explain phenomena like tornadoes and air currents.

5. How can the acceleration of air through a funnel be measured?

The acceleration of air through a funnel can be measured using various methods, including pressure sensors, anemometers, and flow meters. These devices can measure the speed and pressure of air as it travels through the funnel, providing valuable data for research and practical applications.

Back