AIG Answers in Genesis: Challenging the Big Bang Theory

• Thread starter Nooj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the website Answers in Genesis, which promotes a young-earth creationist perspective and challenges the Big Bang theory. The article being referred to discusses minor fluctuations in the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation and how it relates to the age of the universe. The conversation also delves into the theological implications of a literal interpretation of the creation story in Genesis, and the logical inconsistencies of creationism. Overall, the conversation highlights the clash between science and creationism and the importance of considering different perspectives and evidence.
Nooj
Answers in Genesis is a well known young-earth creationist website that says the Universe is less than 6000 years old. I was referred to this article: http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v18/i2/echoes.asp" by a creationist whom I was debating with. Now, my major interest is in biology and I was wondering if you could help me decipher what the article is about.

I remember a few years back when the WMAP and even earlier the COBE pinpointed minor fluctuations within the CMB radiation. Aren't the AIG guys saying the same thing here? How is this challenging the Big Bang theory at all? My confusion is a combination of my poor understanding of cosmology and creationism obscurity. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
There may or may not be problems with the interpretation of the WMAP data.

Even if there are it does not mean the universe is 6,000 years old - it is a basic fact that the universe is much older and much larger that the literal creationists want to believe. We see much further out than 6,000 light years and therefore much further back than 6,000 years - about 14,000,000,000 years further in fact.

As a theologian as well as a astrophysicist I may also be qualified to point out that the opening chapters of the Genesis text itself are clear that they should not be taken literally.

There are two creation stories in the first four chapters, that are so obviously in literal contradiction with each other that it would be obvious to an ancient that they should be taken a stories or dreams/visions of our origins rather than scientific fact.

Gen 1 - 2:3 is a poem of seven stanzas, six days of creation from a watery chaos followed by a sabbath. Adam and Eve are created together at the end of the process. God is called 'Elohim'.

Genesis 2.4 - 4-end has ONE day of creation from a desert. Adam is created first then the garden of Eden then the animals and finally Eve. God is called 'Yahweh'.

Two separate sources redacted together at a later date.

As a matter of interest a third creation story begins in chapter 5.

I know this is off topic for this Forum but it is relevant in answering the 6-day creationist nonsense.

I hope it helps.

Garth

Last edited:
Indeed it does. Thank you.

I find it hilarious that Paul Marmet's alternative to the Big Bang theory is the Plasma Universe hypothesis which is in no way compatible to a young Earth perspective. The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

Creationism is logically inconsistent. How do you measure 'days' before 'days' were created? Ancient humans invented gods and mysticism as devices to manipulate people.

unfortunately, one must accept the fact that logic in any theist universe works slightly differently. And we can't really judge it using our logic either :smile:

I will concede that linear logic [cause and effect] is not bullet proof, it includes a time variable. But absolute logic is pretty hard to refute. Some states of reality are mutually exclusive.

Related to AIG Answers in Genesis: Challenging the Big Bang Theory

1. What is AIG Answers in Genesis?

AIG Answers in Genesis is a Christian organization that provides resources and materials to defend the biblical account of creation and challenge the Big Bang Theory and other scientific theories that contradict it. They believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible and reject the idea of evolution.

2. How does AIG Answers in Genesis challenge the Big Bang Theory?

AIG Answers in Genesis challenges the Big Bang Theory by presenting evidence and arguments that contradict its claims. They argue that the Big Bang Theory goes against the biblical account of creation and that there are scientific flaws and inconsistencies in the theory.

3. Is AIG Answers in Genesis a reputable source for scientific information?

This is a controversial question, as opinions on the reliability of AIG Answers in Genesis vary greatly. While they do have scientific credentials and present arguments backed by evidence, their views are often seen as biased and not in line with the majority of the scientific community.

4. Does AIG Answers in Genesis reject all scientific theories?

No, AIG Answers in Genesis does not reject all scientific theories. They accept and utilize many scientific principles and discoveries, but only within the framework of a biblical worldview. They reject theories that contradict the Bible, such as the Big Bang Theory and evolution.

5. What impact does AIG Answers in Genesis have on the scientific community?

AIG Answers in Genesis is a small but vocal minority within the scientific community. Their views are not widely accepted or supported by the majority of scientists. However, they do have a strong following among certain religious groups and have been influential in promoting creationism and challenging evolutionary theory in some circles.

Back