Angular Momentum Problem in Dirac Notation

In summary, the problem involves finding the eigenvalues for the Hamiltonian, L^2, and Lz operators for the hydrogen atom. The solution includes normalizing the ket vector and using orthogonality of eigenstates to find the corresponding bra. The final step is to solve for the constant A by setting the multiplication of the bra and ket vectors equal to 1. The result is A= 1/6.
xago

Homework Statement

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/2079/dirac.png

Homework Equations

H|ψ> = E|ψ>
[itex]L^{2}[/itex]|ψ> = l(l+1)[itex]\hbar^{2}[/itex]|ψ>
[itex]L_{z}[/itex]|ψ> = [itex]m_{l}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]|ψ>

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this problem is very simple since I've seen a very similar problem a while ago but I've completed forgot how to do it over the winter break.
As far as normalization goes its <ψ|ψ> = 1, so I simply multiply the given ket vector by the bra vector of the same state. However I can't for the life of me remember how the bra and ket vectors multiply to an equation is which you just solve for A. Say for the 3rd term, 2|[itex]ψ_{2,1,-1}[/itex]> represents n=1, l=1, [itex]m_{l}[/itex] = -1
So then the Hamiltionian eigenvalue is 1, the [itex]L^{2}[/itex] eigenvalue is 1(1+1)[itex]\hbar^{2}[/itex] = 2[itex]\hbar^{2}[/itex] and the [itex]L_{z}[/itex] eigenvalue is -[itex]\hbar[/itex] but how do I put all this together?

FYI this is for the hydrogen atom |[itex]ψ_{n,l,m_{l}}[/itex]>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't appear to be an angular momentum problem.

If you have a state c|n>, its corresponding bra is c*<n|, thus the normalization requirement is c*c = <n|n>. And remember orthogonality of eigenstates, <n|n'>= 1 if n=n' and 0 if n=/=n'.

Thats what I originally thought but I kept thinking i was missing something lol. So is it just
A^2(6+1+4+9+16) = 1
A= 1/6

Related to Angular Momentum Problem in Dirac Notation

1. What is the Angular Momentum Problem in Dirac Notation?

The Angular Momentum Problem in Dirac Notation refers to the difficulty in quantizing angular momentum in quantum mechanics. This problem arises due to the non-commutativity of the operators used to measure angular momentum, making it challenging to determine the precise values of the angular momentum components.

2. How does Dirac Notation approach the Angular Momentum Problem?

Dirac Notation, also known as bra-ket notation, provides a concise way to represent quantum states and operators. In this notation, the angular momentum operators are represented by matrices, and their commutation relations can be easily defined. This allows for a more straightforward approach to solving the Angular Momentum Problem.

3. What is the significance of solving the Angular Momentum Problem?

The Angular Momentum Problem is crucial in quantum mechanics as angular momentum is a fundamental property of particles. It is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and nuclei. Solving this problem allows for more accurate predictions and calculations in these systems.

4. Can the Angular Momentum Problem be solved for all quantum systems?

No, the Angular Momentum Problem cannot be solved for all quantum systems. In some cases, such as for systems with continuous rotational symmetry, the angular momentum operators do not have well-defined eigenvalues. In these cases, alternative approaches, such as group theory, are used to study angular momentum in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any applications of the solution to the Angular Momentum Problem?

Yes, there are many applications of the solution to the Angular Momentum Problem. One of the most significant applications is in the field of quantum computing, where the precise control of angular momentum is crucial for performing quantum operations. It is also essential in understanding the properties of materials and in developing new technologies, such as spintronics.

Back