Who knows this formula and its solution?

• Thread starter rovelli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, The conversation discusses mismatching brackets in an equation and the doubt over its overall definition. The equation is found to be from a book by author Lauren Child and the solution is determined to be 42. The conversation also mentions the lack of an equality sign in a similar problem and provides the original formula from the book.
rovelli
IMAG0082.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mismatching brackets in the last sum. And I doubt the overall expression is well-defined.
Simply open the door and work from there without entering the room? ;)

mfb said:
Mismatching brackets in the last sum. And I doubt the overall expression is well-defined.
Simply open the door and work from there without entering the room? ;)

yes, one bracket is missing. I found out where the equation is from, it is from a book by an author named Lauren Child, and using that information, I found out that the solution to the equation is 42. LOL! She cooperates with maths prof Marcus de Sautoy...

Where is the equality sign in 3+5 (a "slightly" easier problem of the same type)?

rovelli said:
yes, one bracket is missing. I found out where the equation is from
What you have in the image is NOT an equation. An equation has this symbol in it somewhere: =.
rovelli said:
, it is from a book by an author named Lauren Child, and using that information, I found out that the solution to the equation is 42. LOL! She cooperates with maths prof Marcus de Sautoy...
That would be the value of the expression (I didn't confirm this for myself, though).

mfb said:
Where is the equality sign in 3+5 (a "slightly" easier problem of the same type)?

Here is the formula in original version, straight from the book by Lauren Child
IMAG0088.jpg

FAQ: Who knows this formula and its solution?

1. What is the purpose of this formula?

The purpose of this formula is to solve a specific problem or equation. It can be used to find a solution or to better understand a concept.

2. Who created this formula and when?

The formula was likely created by a mathematician or scientist, and the specific person and date of creation may vary depending on the formula in question.

3. How can I understand and use this formula?

To understand and use a formula, it is important to have a basic understanding of the mathematical or scientific concepts involved. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or expert in the field.

4. Are there any alternative formulas or solutions to this problem?

In many cases, there may be multiple formulas or solutions to a problem. It is important to consider all options and choose the most appropriate one for the specific situation.

5. Can this formula be applied to different scenarios?

Some formulas may have a wide range of applications, while others may be more specific. It is important to carefully consider the context and limitations of a formula before applying it to different scenarios.