Application of Rouche's Theorem HELP

In summary, Rouche's theorem states that if f and g are two functions analytic in a neighborhood of the closed unit disk, then f and g have the same number of zeroes in the disk.
arithmuggle
Question: Find the number of zeroes of the equation [tex]$ z^7 - 2z^5 + 6z^3 - z+1 = 0 $[/tex], in the unit disk.

We have Rouche's theorem which says that if f(z) and g(z) are two functions analytic in a neighborhood of the closed unit disk and if |f(z) - g(z)| < |f(z)| for all z on the boundary of the disk, then f and g have the same number of zeroes in the disk.

Now there are easier problems which I can do just fine. But here is what I try. Now first off I know from here-say and mathematica that there are three roots inside the unit disk. So naturally I could use g(z) is either "6z^3" or "-2z^5 + 6z^3" since both have three zeroes (counting multiplicity) INSIDE the disk. So here is all i can see:

using the identity [tex]$\right|a+b\right| \le \left|a\right|-\left|b\right|$ [/tex]over and over again I get:
|f(z)| >= 1 immediately not very helpful...
from below I can see, using [tex]$g(z) = -2z^5 + 6z^3$[/tex],
[tex]$\left|f(z)-g(z)\right| = \left|z^7 - z + 1\right| < 3$ [/tex] where i deliberately use strict < if you think about the geometry of this triangle inequality application...

ok so I can't get my |f(z)-g(z)| to be smaller than |f(z)|... any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the alternate (equivalent formulation) of Rouche's theorem
[tex]|f(z) - g(z)| < |f(z)| + |g(z)|[/tex]

using [tex]f(z) = z^7 - 2z^5 + 6z^3 - z + 1[/tex] and
[tex]g(z) = 6z^3[/tex]

Because then
[tex]|f(z)-g(z)| = |z^7 - 2z^5 - z + 1|[/tex]
[tex]|f(z)-g(z)| \leq 5 < 6 \leq |6z^3|[/tex]
[tex]|f(z)-g(z)| < |z^7 - 2z^5 + 6z^3 - z + 1| + |6z^3| = |f(z)| + |g(z)|[/tex]

There is a very similar example to your problem in "Handbook of complex variables" by Krantz on page 74.

Ahh thank you so much. I see that version of the theorem in Ahlfors. Although, I don't see why I would ever use the version of the theorem I had originally quoted since clearly having that extra "[tex]$ + \left| g(z) \right|$ [/tex]" makes these inequalities a heck of a lot easier.

FAQ: Application of Rouche's Theorem HELP

1. How is Rouche's Theorem used in mathematics and science?

Rouche's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that is commonly used in both mathematics and science to find the roots of a polynomial equation. It is also used to analyze the behavior and properties of complex functions.

2. What is the main concept behind Rouche's Theorem?

The main concept behind Rouche's Theorem is that if two complex functions are close enough to each other, they will have the same number of zeros in a specific region. This theorem is used to find the number of zeros of a complex function within a given region.

3. What are the benefits of using Rouche's Theorem in scientific research?

One of the main benefits of using Rouche's Theorem in scientific research is that it allows researchers to easily determine the number of roots of a complex function without having to solve the entire equation. This saves time and resources and can be applied in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can Rouche's Theorem be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Rouche's Theorem can be applied to real-world problems. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of complex systems and to determine the stability of solutions. It can also be used in economics and social sciences to model and predict various phenomena.

5. What are some limitations of Rouche's Theorem?

One of the limitations of Rouche's Theorem is that it can only be used to determine the number of zeros of a complex function within a specific region. It does not provide information about the location or values of the zeros. Additionally, it requires the functions to be close enough to each other, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.