Autonomous Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with an initial condition of y(0)=20. The attempt at a solution involves finding a general equation of I=0.5Ln |100-y|+c, but there is confusion on how to incorporate the initial condition into the equation. However, there may be errors in the approach as there is no variable for time in the equation.
n.a.s.h

Homework Statement

solve the following...

dy/dt= 0.5(100-y) with initial condition:y(0)=20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the general equation to be I=0.5Ln |100-y|+c
but I am stuck as to what to do with the initial condition...

Physics news on Phys.org
n.a.s.h said:

Homework Statement

solve the following...

dy/dt= 0.5(100-y) with initial condition:y(0)=20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the general equation to be I=0.5Ln |100-y|+c
but I am stuck as to what to do with the initial condition...

What's "I"?

And you are saying that 0.5 * ln |100-y| + c is some kind of a solution to this DE?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{100-y}{2}[/tex]

yes i think its the general equation...

n.a.s.h said:
yes i think its the general equation...

I would say put t=0 and y=20 into that solution and then solve for the constant c, but I can't. Because there is no t. That's a problem. Can you show us how you got it? I think there's some other errors on the way.

FAQ: Autonomous Differential Equation

1. What is an autonomous differential equation?

An autonomous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the independent variable does not appear explicitly. This means that the rate of change of the dependent variable is only dependent on the value of the dependent variable itself.

2. How is an autonomous differential equation different from a non-autonomous differential equation?

In a non-autonomous differential equation, the independent variable is explicitly present in the equation and affects the rate of change of the dependent variable. In contrast, an autonomous differential equation does not have this dependence on the independent variable.

3. What are some real-world applications of autonomous differential equations?

Autonomous differential equations are used to model various natural phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How are autonomous differential equations solved?

Autonomous differential equations are typically solved using analytical or numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding the exact solution using mathematical techniques, while numerical methods use approximations to find an approximate solution.

5. What are the advantages of using autonomous differential equations in modeling?

Autonomous differential equations are advantageous because they can provide a simplified and general representation of complex systems. They can also be used to make predictions and understand the behavior of a system over time.

Back