Balancing Physics BS, Work, & Learning: My Class/Work Schedule

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, it depends on the job and what you're getting paid. If it's a job like that and you can do a bit of studying, why not? If it's like retail or something else that has no down time, I might reconsider.
Shackleford
I'm working on a Physics BS and in my junior year. After this semester, I'll start the upper level physics courses. This semester is my last for non-math or science courses, but I am also taking Differential Equations. I currently work about 20 hours/week. Next semester, my classes will be Modern Physics I, Vector Analysis, and Introduction to PDE. Each semester henceforth is full of upper level physics courses and I need a senior level math course to complete my minor. I want to continue working part-time, but is 20 hours too much? I know these physics courses are conceptually heavy, not necessarily work heavy. I like to have time to absorb the material and actually learn it and not be rushed each week, etc. Thanks for any thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. I work 15+ hours a week as a librarian, so I essentially get paid to do my homework. If it's a job like that and you can do a bit of studying, why not? If it's like retail or something else that has no down time, I might reconsider.

MissSilvy said:
Depends. I work 15+ hours a week as a librarian, so I essentially get paid to do my homework. If it's a job like that and you can do a bit of studying, why not? If it's like retail or something else that has no down time, I might reconsider.

It's not a job like that and it's not retail. I work in an office at an economic development organization. I'm not really supposed to work on homework, but my immediate bosses don't mind if there's not too much to do. However, they're supposed to have stuff for me to do to keep me busy. The program I work in will really be picking up next year, so I won't have much "free time" at work at all.

If you need the money and absolutely can't stop, then I don't think there's much of a choice. It can be done, but in my experience, working that many hours and taking a difficult course load usually is managed at the expense of cutting into socializing and free time. You could scale back your hours until you get a sense of what you have time for and what you don't, keep the same hours, or drop the job entirely. It's completely up to you :) Good luck

FAQ: Balancing Physics BS, Work, & Learning: My Class/Work Schedule

1. How can I balance my Physics BS program with work and other learning commitments?

Balancing a Physics BS program with work and other learning commitments can be challenging, but it is possible with proper time management and prioritization. It is important to create a schedule that allows for dedicated study time, while also taking into account work and other obligations. Utilizing resources such as study groups and online learning tools can also be helpful in managing your time effectively.

2. Is it possible to work while pursuing a Physics BS degree?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a Physics BS degree. Many students work part-time or even full-time while completing their degree. However, it is important to find a balance and not let work take away from your studies. Prioritizing and effective time management are key to successfully balancing work and a Physics BS program.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for my Physics BS program?

The amount of time needed for studying will vary for each individual and also depends on the difficulty of the course. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of class time. This means that for a typical 3-credit course, you should aim to study for 6-9 hours per week.

4. Can I still have a social life while pursuing a Physics BS degree?

Yes, it is possible to have a social life while pursuing a Physics BS degree. It is important to find a balance between your studies and social activities. This could include scheduling designated study time and also making time for social events with friends and classmates. It is also important to prioritize and make sure that your social life does not interfere with your academic responsibilities.

5. Are there any tips for managing a busy schedule with a Physics BS program and work?

Some tips for managing a busy schedule with a Physics BS program and work include creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, utilizing resources such as study groups and online learning tools, and making time for self-care and relaxation. It is also important to communicate with your employer and professors about your schedule and any potential conflicts. Remember to also take breaks and not overwork yourself, as this can lead to burnout and decreased productivity.