Ball being shot out of a spring gun - Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a ball as it leaves the barrel of a gun, taking into account the force constant of the spring, the compression of the spring, the mass of the ball, and the resisting force acting on the ball. The correct solution involves calculating the average force and using the work-energy theorem, while the initial solution did not account for the force of friction.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

The spring has a force constant of 355N/m. The spring is compressed 5.9 cm and the ball has a mass of 0.029kg. The gun is held horizontal. The barrel of the gun is 5.9 cm long so the ball leaves the barrel at the same point it loses contact with the spring. A resisting force of 6.1N acts on the ball as it moves along the barrel.

Find the speed of the ball as it leaves the barrel.

Homework Equations

Ki + Ui + Wf = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

Ki = 0 and Uf = 0 so

1/2 kx2 + W = 1/2mv2

1/2 (355N/m)(.0592) - 6.1N(.059m) = 1/2(.029kg)(v2)

V = 4.21 m/s

Thank you for any help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok well i figured it out but i am not sure why the first way i did it doesn't work. maybe someone would be kind enough to explain it to me :)

So the right way to do it is

F_i = kx
F_i = 355N/m (0.59m) = 20.495

F_avg = 20.495 + 0 / 2
F_avg = 10.4725 N

F_total = 10.47 - 6.1
F_total = 4.37 N

W = Fd
W = 4.37N(.059m)
W = .2578 J

W = K = 1/2mv^2

.2578 = 1/2(.029)v^2

V = 4.22 m/s

The force of friction is opposite to the direction of the motion.

Last edited:
Wow i just realized that i made that stupid mistake :)

it is now edited for anyone looking at this in the future.

Thanks Jay.

I would like to point out that the answer provided in the attempt at a solution may not be entirely accurate. The equation used, 1/2 kx2 + W = 1/2mv2, is valid only for the case where the ball is released from the spring and there are no other external forces acting on it. However, in this scenario, there is a resisting force of 6.1N acting on the ball as it moves along the barrel.

To accurately calculate the velocity of the ball as it leaves the barrel, we need to take into account this resisting force. This can be done by using the equation F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the ball, m is its mass, and a is its acceleration. In this case, the net force acting on the ball is the difference between the force exerted by the spring (kx) and the resisting force (6.1N). So, we can rewrite the equation as:

kx - 6.1N = ma

Solving for acceleration, we get:

a = (kx - 6.1N)/m

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

a = [(355N/m)(0.059m) - 6.1N]/0.029kg = 33.34 m/s2

Now, using the equation v2 = u2 + 2as, where u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), we can calculate the final velocity:

v2 = 0 + 2(33.34 m/s2)(0.059m) = 3.93 m/s

Therefore, the speed of the ball as it leaves the barrel is approximately 3.93 m/s.

Related to Ball being shot out of a spring gun - Velocity

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a ball shot out of a spring gun?

The formula for calculating the velocity (v) of a ball shot out of a spring gun is v = √(kx^2/m), where k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, and m is the mass of the ball.

2. How does the spring constant affect the velocity of the ball?

The spring constant directly affects the velocity of the ball. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer, resulting in a greater force and therefore a higher velocity of the ball when it is shot out of the spring gun.

3. Is the velocity of the ball affected by the mass of the ball?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect the velocity. A heavier ball will have a lower velocity compared to a lighter ball when shot out of a spring gun, assuming all other factors remain constant.

4. How does the distance the spring is compressed affect the velocity of the ball?

The distance the spring is compressed also affects the velocity of the ball. The greater the distance the spring is compressed, the greater the potential energy stored in the spring, resulting in a higher velocity of the ball when it is released.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the velocity of the ball shot out of a spring gun?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the velocity of the ball. These include air resistance, friction, and the angle at which the ball is shot. These factors may decrease the velocity of the ball compared to the calculated value using the formula.

Back