Building a Projectile Launcher: Rubberband, Spring or Catapult?

In summary, the conversation is about building a projectile launcher for a physics class using a ping pong ball. Options for the launcher include a catapult, rubber band, or spring launcher. The most recommended option is a rubber band and catapult hybrid using PVC and multiple rubber bands for tension. Other suggestions include using a motor from an old computer fan and using a vacuum cleaner to generate air for propulsion. The importance of spin for accuracy is also discussed.
helpwithphysics
I have a question- How exactly should I go about building a projectile launcher with a ping pong ball?:rolleyes:

Would you recommend a catapult launcher, a rubberband launcher, or a spring launcher?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I Need Help Please.

I'm pretty sure that I'm building a rubber band launcher.

How would you assemble this?

Can you give us a little bit more information including:
time period
money
class you are taking, unless it is for fun
means for propulsion

You could built a nice rubber band and catapult hybrid with PVC, having the armature as-pulled-back increase tension on many rubber bands (thick, or even another material). When the arm is let go of, the elastic potential will release and catapault! WHOOO!

Last edited:
Thanks, its for a regular physics class, just for fun. We just need to have the ping pong fly accurately.
Great Ideas! Thank you

For accuracy, I'd recommend something along the approach that Jeff mentioned. Top or bottom spin should keep the ball going pretty much in a straight horizontal trajectory. Your elevation can be adjusted by varying the speed or the vertical angle of the launcher. Side spin would make it curve, and probably not with acceptable accuracy.

Just get a small motor out of an old computer's fan or something like that to drive the wheels. If that is too complicated you could put a spring in the bottom of a tube, put the ball in the tube, and push down on the ball, then let go. :smile:

Get a vacuum cleaner. One that blows as well as sucks:

http://shinyvacuumcleaner.en.alibaba.com/product/50009348/50041996/Vacuum_Cleaners/Mini_Vacuum_Cleaner.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the n00b way. :biggrin:

If you use a hose with air blowing through it, you can place a rubber band on one side of the opening to impart spin on the ping pong ball. You'd want the rubber band on the top to generate backspin.

Related to Building a Projectile Launcher: Rubberband, Spring or Catapult?

1. What is the difference between a rubber band, spring, and catapult projectile launcher?

A rubber band projectile launcher uses the tension of rubber bands to launch a projectile, while a spring launcher uses the potential energy of a compressed spring. A catapult launcher, on the other hand, uses the force generated by a lever or other mechanism to launch a projectile.

2. Which type of projectile launcher is the most accurate?

The accuracy of a projectile launcher depends on various factors such as design, materials used, and skill of the person operating it. Generally, a spring launcher is considered the most accurate due to its ability to generate consistent and precise force.

3. What factors should be considered when building a projectile launcher?

The main factors to consider when building a projectile launcher are the type of launcher, materials used, design and construction, and safety precautions. It is important to choose the appropriate type of launcher based on your needs and have a solid understanding of physics and mechanics to ensure safe and effective operation.

4. Can a projectile launcher be used for different types of projectiles?

Yes, depending on the design and power of the launcher, it can be used to launch various types of projectiles such as balls, rockets, or even small objects like paperclips. However, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and only use appropriate projectiles for your launcher.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a projectile launcher?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a projectile launcher include wearing protective gear, keeping bystanders at a safe distance, choosing appropriate projectiles, and properly securing the launcher before use. It is also important to carefully follow instructions and use the launcher in a controlled environment to prevent accidents.

Back