Calculate Kinetic Friction from Time, Displacement, Height & Length

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has a lab on friction due today but has missed a couple of days of class. They are asking for help on how to calculate the friction of an object given the time it took for it to come down an incline, displacement, height, and length. The student specifies that they want to find the coefficient of kinetic friction, not static. The suggested solution is to use the equation s=ut+0.5at^2 to find the acceleration of the object and then apply Newton's 2nd Law to find the desired expression.
hfz_105

Homework Statement

I have a lab on friction I did in class, I have missed couple of days and and its due today, what i need to know is how can i calculate the friction of the object if I have the following given , the time it took for the object to come down the raamp, the displacement , the height of the inclined surface and length.

Note I want to know the coefficient kinetic friction, not static.( i know how i can get that)

Homework Equations

I don't really know which one to go with.

The Attempt at a Solution

2mcuhpg.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Using s=ut+0.5at2 you can get the resultant acceleration of the car.

If you apply Newton's 2nd Law to the car, what expression do you get?

FAQ: Calculate Kinetic Friction from Time, Displacement, Height & Length

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object when it is in motion. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces of two objects.

2. How do you calculate kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) by the normal force (N) between the two surfaces. The formula is Fk = μk * N.

3. Can kinetic friction be negative?

No, kinetic friction cannot be negative. It always acts in the opposite direction of motion and therefore, it is always positive.

4. What factors affect the value of kinetic friction?

The value of kinetic friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the two surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

5. How does time, displacement, height, and length relate to calculating kinetic friction?

Time, displacement, height, and length do not directly relate to calculating kinetic friction. However, they can be used in experiments to measure the motion of an object and determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces.

Back