Calculate Lens Focal Length - Convex & Concave Lenses

In summary, the speaker has a practical homework assignment in which they need to calculate the optical strength using the formula D=1/F. They need to find the focal length for both a concave and convex lens, but only have access to a convex lens and a 200mw laser. They are unsure how to find the focal length for a concave lens and are seeking suggestions. They suggest using the laser and moving the lens until the laser dot is 10 times bigger, but are unsure if this method will work. They also ask for suggestions on where to find a concave lens and mention possibly trying an optometrist's office.
wg1337

Homework Statement

I have an actually interesting practical homework. I need to calculate the optical strength (hope I translated it right, D=1/F), to do I need to find the lens focal length. I need to find my self a concave and a convex lens. I don't have a concave lens (I think), but I do have a 200mw laser with and convex lens, so one part I can do. I don't know how could I find the focal length for concave and I don't seem to know where to get such a lens.

Homework Equations

For convex lens I could simply use D=1/F, so if I put my laser bit away from a sheet of paper and if the paper burns (my laser can do it) then it is the focal length.
For concave lens I could use this: D=1/f + 1/d, where f is length to screen and d is length to object and magnification is f/d.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my way with finding focal length with laser is enough good, but maybe there is a better way.
But I don't like my idea about how to get focal length for concave lens:
I use the laser and let it go trough this lens, I move the lens/laser away to find when the laser dot is, for example, 10 times bigger. But don't know really how would it work.
Any better ideas?
Where could I find (in some device maybe) a concave lens?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try an optometrist's office for a concave lens. Often they have a large box of donated old glasses for third world countries and they likely would be glad to let you take a pair.

Maybe you could observe the reflection of the laser beam from the curved surface of a concave lens. The distance from the lens to the bright spot would give the focal length of the lens if the other side of the lens is flat.

We used to experiment with a candle and lens mounted on a meter stick. If you can accurately observe the location of the virtual image you can calculate the focal length.

Related to Calculate Lens Focal Length - Convex & Concave Lenses

1. How do I determine the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens can be determined by measuring the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge. This distance is equal to the focal length of the lens.

2. What factors affect the focal length of a concave lens?

The focal length of a concave lens is affected by the curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the material it is made of. Generally, a more curved lens or a lens with a higher refractive index will have a shorter focal length.

3. Can I use the thin lens equation to calculate the focal length of a convex lens?

Yes, the thin lens equation can be used to calculate the focal length of both convex and concave lenses. The equation is: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

4. How do I know if a lens is convex or concave?

A convex lens bulges outwards in the middle and has a thicker center compared to its edges. A concave lens, on the other hand, curves inwards and has a thinner center. You can also place the lens on a flat surface and see if it creates an upside-down or right-side-up image.

5. What is the difference between a positive and negative focal length?

A positive focal length indicates a convex lens, which converges light rays to a focal point. A negative focal length indicates a concave lens, which diverges light rays away from a focal point. Essentially, a positive focal length creates a real image, while a negative focal length creates a virtual image.