Calculating Impulse Using FΔt: A 4.0-N to 15 N Challenge

In summary, the individual impulses of 4 Ns and 15 Ns were imparted to the object over two different time periods. By adding these two impulses together, the total impulse imparted to the object is 19 Ns. The correct answer would be option c, 16 Ns, as this is the closest option to the total impulse calculated.
metalmagik
okay I am not sure what the right answer is out of these multiple choices because I am not sure how exactly to use F delta T.

A 4.0-N force acts for 3.0 sec on an object. The force suddenly increases to 15 N and acts for one more second. What impulse was imparted by these forces to the object?

a. 12 Ns
b. 15 Ns
c. 16 Ns
d. 27 Ns

I got like...both A and B as possible answers but I am not sure which one is right..I used F delta T to get 12 because I just did 4 x 3. Then I got 15 by doing 15 x 1. I am not sure how to use the change in time... when i played around with it i was getting numbers that were not any of the choices. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Impulse is additive. That is, if you have an impulse of A over one period of time, and an impulse of B over another period, then the total impulse over both periods is A+B. (taking into account the direction each time)

Thanks! Let's hope I do good on this re-test after I bombed the first momentum test. haha

FAQ: Calculating Impulse Using FΔt: A 4.0-N to 15 N Challenge

1. What is impulse and how is it related to force and time?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object and is calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the object by the time interval over which the force is applied. It is related to force and time because the greater the force or the longer the time interval, the greater the change in momentum and therefore the greater the impulse.

2. How do you calculate impulse using FΔt?

To calculate impulse using FΔt, you multiply the force (F) exerted on an object by the time interval (Δt) during which the force is applied. The equation for impulse is J = FΔt.

3. What is the unit of impulse?

The unit of impulse is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s) or Newton-second (N·s).

4. Can impulse be negative?

Yes, impulse can be negative. A negative impulse means that the direction of the change in momentum is opposite to the direction of the force applied. This can happen when the object experiences a force in the opposite direction of its initial motion, causing it to slow down or change direction.

5. How does increasing the force or time affect the impulse?

Increasing the force or time will result in a greater impulse. This is because a larger force will cause a greater change in momentum, and a longer time interval means the force is applied for a longer period, resulting in a greater change in momentum. In other words, the greater the force or time, the greater the impulse.

Back