Calculating Initial Volume for Desired Pressure and Volume in Air Chamber

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create a pressure of 9 ± 1 bar and a volume of 25 ± 2.5 mL for 15-25 seconds using 7 ± 0.5 g of finely ground material. An initial volume of 125 mL may be required to achieve this pressure and volume, but further calculations are needed to find the exact size of the air chamber.
pyzaan
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me out with this, I'm looking to create 9 ± 1 bar (131 ± 15 psi) of Entry Water pressure for 15-25 seconds to create a 25 ± 2.5 mL of volume as it pass through 7 ± 0.5 g (0.25 ± 0.02 oz) of finelyy ground material. If I were to pressurize an air chamber what size/volume would be required to achieve the above?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Needs to maintain pressure = 9 ± 1 bar, while 25 ml of (compressed) air flows out.
Start at 10 bar, following 25ml loss reduced to 8 bar. The problem is ratiometric.

As an estimate; solve for the initial volume required, v;
10 / 8 = v / (v – 25)
10v – 8v = 250
Therefor initial volume v = 125 ml.

Related to Calculating Initial Volume for Desired Pressure and Volume in Air Chamber

What is the relationship between volume and pressure?

The relationship between volume and pressure is known as Boyle's Law. It states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

How does temperature affect the volume/pressure relationship?

According to Charles's Law, at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, the volume also increases, and vice versa. This law is also known as Gay-Lussac's Law.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a combination of Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

How can I calculate the change in volume or pressure of a gas?

To calculate the change in volume or pressure of a gas, you can use the ideal gas law or the specific gas law for a particular gas. The specific gas law takes into account the molar mass of the gas and is expressed as PV = mRT/M, where m is the mass of the gas, M is the molar mass, and the other variables are the same as in the ideal gas law.

What are some real-life applications of the volume/pressure relationship?

The volume/pressure relationship has many real-life applications, such as in scuba diving, where the pressure of the gas in the scuba tank decreases as the diver ascends to the surface, causing the volume of the gas to increase. It is also important in the operation of engines, such as in cars and airplanes, where changes in volume and pressure of gases are utilized to generate power. Additionally, it is crucial in understanding the behavior of gases in weather systems and in the production of industrial gases.