Calculating Local Interface Curvature for Fluid Dynamics Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the boundary element method to solve unknowns in the Laplace equation for the time evolution of a fluid air interface. The material derivative equation is used at each time step, requiring the calculation of the local interface curvature. The method for finding the curvature is to use the equation for the "curve" of interest and solve for the values of a, b, and c. The curvature can then be calculated using the formula H(x)=abs(y")/[1+(y')^2]^(3/2).
sam_the_man

Homework Statement

I am using the boundary element method to solve unknowns to the Laplace equation from classic potential flow theory for the time evolution of a fluid air interface. At each time step, I need to solve a material derivative equation numerically at every node along an interface to find the new velocity potential.

In order to calculate the material derivative, I need to calculate the local interface curvature (et al.).

Homework Equations

From text, the local (mean) interface curvature can be calculated as 2H=div n. Where H is the mean interface curvature and n is the unit normal to the surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

The divergence of a vector field is a somewhat trivial calculation, e.g.:
div F = (dF1/dx+dF2/dy+dF3/z) where each value of F is some function that can be differentiated (pde) (like x*y^2). So here is the problem/question, in the case of the unit normal, the values are scalar values (such as [1 0 1]'), therefore if I differentiate each of these values with respect to the independent variable the entire equation equals zero. No doubt I am missing something fundamental here, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I've attached a very simple sketch of a local discretized interface with nodes, and a unit normal just to help visualize what I am working with.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've figured this out and I'm going to answer my own question.

Rather than find the unit normal for the point, it is easier to find the equation for the "curve" of interest. In the diagram I attached, I could take 3 points two either side of where I have annotated the normal. From the location of these points I can formulate an equation for the curve from the parabolic equation y=ax^2+bx+c. Since I have three points, I can find the values for a b and c for example;

y_1=ax_1^2+bx_1+c
y_2=ax_2^2+bx_2+c
y_3=ax_3^2+bx_3+c

which can be solved numerous ways for a, b and c which in turn are plugged back into the original equation.

From this the curvature can be calculated as H(x)=abs(y")/[1+(y')^2]^(3/2) at any given point and for any curve equation.

Side note: I spend quite a bit of time on here as a "spectator" generally I stumble across this site while looking for little tidbits of info. Even though I didn't receive any response for my first try here, I would say keep up the good work. This is a great resource.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculating Local Interface Curvature for Fluid Dynamics Simulation

1. What is local interface curvature?

Local interface curvature refers to the curvature of a surface at a specific point or region, rather than the overall curvature of the entire surface. It is a measure of how much a surface deviates from being completely flat at a particular point.

2. How is local interface curvature calculated?

Local interface curvature is typically calculated using differential geometry and calculus. It involves finding the second derivative of the surface at a specific point, which gives the curvature at that point.

3. What is the importance of understanding local interface curvature?

Understanding local interface curvature is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and material science. It can help in designing and analyzing structures, predicting material behavior, and understanding the properties of curved surfaces.

4. How does local interface curvature differ from global curvature?

Local interface curvature refers to the curvature at a specific point on a surface, whereas global curvature is the average curvature across the entire surface. Local interface curvature can vary significantly across a surface, while global curvature gives an overall measure of the surface's curvature.

5. Can local interface curvature be negative?

Yes, local interface curvature can be negative. This means that the surface is curved in a concave manner at a specific point. A positive local interface curvature indicates a convex curvature, and a zero local interface curvature means the surface is flat at that point.

Back