Calculating Magnification of a Microscope: Solving the Magnification Problem

In summary, the question asks for the magnification of a microscope given an image height of 1.00 x 10-4m and an object height of 4.00 x 10-7m. The formula used to find magnification is M = hi ÷ ho = -di ÷ do. After attempting to solve the problem with a different formula, the asker is seeking guidance on how to proceed.
CuteWolf
A microscope produces an image that is 1.00 x 10-4 m high from an object that is 4.00 x 10-7m high. What is the magnification of the microscope?

I've already tried applying this with the formula 1f = 1÷do + 1÷di

So: 1f = ( 1÷ 4.00 x 10-7) + ( 1÷ 1.00 x 10-4 )
1f = 250 000 + 1000
1f ÷ 1 = 251 000 ÷ 1
f = 251 000

Already, this doesn't seem to be the right answer in my opinion.. but I'm not sure. Now, I'm trying to use the formula M = hi ÷ ho = -di ÷ do

Can anyone help sort of.. guide me in the right direction on how I'm supposed to solve this now? (= ~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Three hours of no replies.. I'm sorry for being impatient but I have around 20 of these questions to solve for tomorrow.. so yeah ._. Help please?

FAQ: Calculating Magnification of a Microscope: Solving the Magnification Problem

What is the "Magnification Problem"?

The "Magnification Problem" refers to the issue of how to properly magnify an object or image without distorting it. It is a common challenge in various fields of science, such as microscopy, astronomy, and photography.

What causes the "Magnification Problem"?

The "Magnification Problem" is primarily caused by the limitations of optical systems. Magnification can only be achieved by increasing the size of the image, which can lead to distortion if not done properly. Additionally, the quality and design of the lenses used can also contribute to the problem.

How can the "Magnification Problem" be solved?

The "Magnification Problem" can be solved by using high-quality lenses and properly adjusting the focus and distance between the object and the lens. In some cases, specialized techniques and equipment, such as digital image processing or adaptive optics, can also be used to address the issue.

What are the consequences of not properly addressing the "Magnification Problem"?

If the "Magnification Problem" is not properly addressed, it can lead to inaccurate measurements and observations. This can potentially have significant consequences in scientific research, as well as in industries that rely on precise magnification, such as medical imaging and manufacturing.

Is the "Magnification Problem" a universal issue?

Yes, the "Magnification Problem" is a universal issue that affects all optical systems. It is a fundamental challenge that scientists and engineers constantly strive to overcome in order to achieve accurate and reliable magnification in their work.