Calculating max load of storm shelter

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum load that a 5ft x 5ft x 5ft structure made from 3/8 carbon steel AISI 1018 can take. The formula for stress is mentioned and the question of whether to use Modulus of Rigidity or Elasticity is brought up. The suggestion to overbuild the structure for added safety is also mentioned. Finally, the conversation ends with a discussion on finding the correct formulas for load calculations.
rimmer2300
Easy question

Have a 5ft x 5ft x 5ft structure made from 3/8 carbon steel AISI 1018 I think

What is the max load this thing can take? What's the formula?

Stress=F/A

F=Stress*A?

Do I use the Modulus of Rigidity? Elasticity? Where can I find these values?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's just a box? No, you can't just use sig=F/A...that is for loads on a surface. For structural integrity you have to get into a bit more work. Especially if it is a frame

Yes it's just a box

3/8" Steel welded up to connect the walls

Any suggestions where I can find the correct formulas?

Been a while since college and can't remember where all that stuff is

thanks

I think you should put some figure how you apply the load, is it bending, torsion, tension or compress. Different situation will have different formula.

My suggestion. Overbuild. Don't worry too much about the load calcs. If it is well built and overbuilt, you should have no worries. I doubt you are going to settle for a 20% factor of safety, so why not reinforce all the walls and ceiling and gusset your corners and make that baby unbreakable?

rimmer2300: There is not really an easy formula. I assumed there is a compressive load, P, evenly distributed over the top surface of the box. I currently got a maximum allowable load of P = 80.9 kN. Therefore, it currently appears the box will resist a compressive load of at least 80.9 kN.

Related to Calculating max load of storm shelter

1. How do you calculate the maximum load of a storm shelter?

The maximum load of a storm shelter can be calculated by determining the total weight of all the materials used to construct the shelter, including the weight of the walls, roof, and any additional support structures. This weight should then be compared to the shelter's maximum weight capacity, which can be determined by consulting the manufacturer or a structural engineer.

2. What factors affect the maximum load of a storm shelter?

The maximum load of a storm shelter can be affected by a variety of factors, including the materials used in its construction, the design and structural integrity of the shelter, and the soil conditions and placement of the shelter. The maximum load may also vary depending on the type of storm the shelter is designed to withstand.

3. How do you determine the weight of a storm shelter?

The weight of a storm shelter can be determined by adding the weight of all the materials used in its construction, as well as any additional features such as furniture or supplies. A structural engineer can also provide an accurate estimate of the shelter's weight based on its design and dimensions.

4. What is the maximum weight capacity of a storm shelter?

The maximum weight capacity of a storm shelter can vary depending on the specific shelter and its design. It is important to consult the manufacturer or a structural engineer to determine the exact maximum weight capacity of a storm shelter.

5. Can the maximum load of a storm shelter be increased?

The maximum load of a storm shelter is determined by the design and materials used in its construction. It is not recommended to try and increase the maximum load capacity of a shelter as it could compromise its structural integrity and safety. If a larger capacity is needed, it is best to consult a structural engineer for guidance on constructing a new shelter with a higher maximum load capacity.

Back