Calculating Maximum Gravitational Force between Bowling Ball and Billiard Ball

In summary, a bowling ball and a billiard ball, both treated as uniform spheres, have a maximum gravitational force of 1.2 x 10^-8 when they are touching. The correct equation to use is F=[ 6.67x10^-11 ] [7.2] [.41]/0.128^2 and there are no apparent errors in the solution. The issue may lie in how the solution was entered into webassign.
ladolce

Homework Statement

A bowling ball (mass = 7.2 kg, radius = 0.10 m) and a billiard ball (mass = 0.41 kg, radius = 0.028 m) may each be treated as uniform spheres. What is the magnitude of the maximum gravitational force that each can exert on the other?

Homework Equations

F=G(m1xm2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the equation

F=[ 6.67x10^-11 ] [7.2] [.41]/1.2^2

but i keep getting a wrong answer of 1.2 x 10^-8 i don't know what i did wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm so confused, can anyone help me? :/

ladolce said:
F=[ 6.67x10^-11 ] [7.2] [.41]/1.2^2
What's the distance between their centers?

i think it's assuming that they're touching so it would be the sum of the radiuses..

Right. And what would that sum be?

haha, oops so it's 0.128... i thought i did that, mustve typed it wrong...but still, taht wouldn't make my way right would it?

Looks like you did use the correct value for the distance between the centers. I see nothing wrong with your solution.

i guess it's the way i entered it into webassign :(

FAQ: Calculating Maximum Gravitational Force between Bowling Ball and Billiard Ball

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses and the closer the distance, the stronger the force will be.

4. Does gravitational force only exist between two objects?

No, gravitational force exists between any two objects with mass. However, the force becomes weaker as the distance between the objects increases.

5. Can gravitational force be shielded or cancelled out?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or cancelled out. It is a fundamental force of nature that cannot be manipulated or controlled.

Back