Calculating surfactant tail volume of a lipid

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the packing parameter is used to determine the shape of lipids and the equation includes a term for surfactant tail volume, which is represented by v. The optimal surface area of the head is represented by a, but the purpose of b was unclear until it was discovered to be the base area. When the l value is inserted into the equation, it cancels out and does not affect the overall result. The lecturer is not available for assistance.
rwooduk
This is the general equation for the packing parameter to find out what shape the lipids arrange into:

T0aqwct.jpg

And this is what we have been given in class:

http://i.imgur.com/iGsbXHi.jpg

I'm struggling with the surfactant tail volume, v term. I understand the a is the optimal surface area of the head, but what is b?

I've looked everywhere and no where else has the b. Also if the v term has an l (critical chain length) in it then when inserted into the packing parameter equation the l's cancel and it's no longer dependant on l.

If someone could help it would be really appreciated as the lecturer has gone AWOL and doesn't reply to emails so I'm stuck.

Update: b is the base area

FAQ: Calculating surfactant tail volume of a lipid

1. What is surfactant tail volume?

Surfactant tail volume refers to the space occupied by the hydrophobic (water-repelling) tails of a lipid molecule in a surfactant, which is a compound that lowers the surface tension between two substances.

2. Why is it important to calculate surfactant tail volume of a lipid?

Knowing the surfactant tail volume of a lipid is important in understanding its behavior and interactions with other molecules. It can also help in determining the effectiveness of a surfactant in various applications, such as in cleaning products or pharmaceuticals.

3. How is surfactant tail volume calculated?

The surfactant tail volume of a lipid can be calculated by measuring the length and diameter of the hydrophobic tail and using mathematical equations to determine its volume. This can be done using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy or X-ray crystallography.

4. What factors can affect the surfactant tail volume of a lipid?

The surfactant tail volume of a lipid can be affected by the length, branching, and saturation of the hydrophobic tail, as well as the presence of any functional groups. Additionally, temperature and pH can also have an impact on the volume of the surfactant tail.

5. How does the surfactant tail volume of a lipid impact its properties?

The surfactant tail volume of a lipid can affect its solubility, self-assembly behavior, and effectiveness as a surfactant. Lipids with larger tail volumes may have higher solubility and exhibit stronger interactions with other molecules, while smaller tail volumes may result in decreased self-assembly and lower effectiveness as a surfactant.

Back