Calculating Work done with Archimedes' Wheel for 6-9 Year Olds

In summary, the Archimedes' screw does not reduce the amount of work required to lift water compared to using a bucket, but it does require less force to be applied over a longer distance. This can be demonstrated through an experiment involving an inclined plane. The Archimedes' screw is also a more efficient and less messy method of lifting water compared to other methods.
ryukyu
I am going to be doing a demonstration of Archimedes' wheel for some 6-9 year-old students and would like to try to figure out the work done by the wheel to lift 10 liters of water 1m vs the lifting of a 10 liter pale the same height.

Anyone know of a way to easily figure the work done in turning the screw if I were to fill the screw completely and turn it?

I am an electrical engineering guy so this is outside my comfort zone, but would appreciate anyone who is willing to work through it with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neglecting friction forces the work is the same because every turn raises the same amount of water the same distance.
What Archimede's screw acomplishes is a reduction of applied force.
If you have a long handle, every time you turn it 360 degrees, your hand travels a long distance. Thus, the required force is smaller.
The same happened with old-fashioned car jacks. A long handle turned a fine-pitched screw

Another big advantage is that it can't spill any water, unlike most other methods. :biggrin:

Are you seriously going to teach 6-9 year olds about work and energy?

Or is this an excuse for a field holiday working in your diamond mine? o:)

(btw, it's Archimedes' screw … a google image search for Archimedes' wheel shows an ordinary worm gear for lifting a bucket out of a well :wink:)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

@tiny-tim: No I am not aiming to teach them about work and energy, but I do like to back my demonstrations with math when I make claims like "this takes less work than this.." especially when parents start asking questions.

@Godianus: I'm not making the connection. It seems like it would take less work (since there is less applied force). I guess I should make the experiment to state 1m up and 1m right, indicating the use of an inclined plane as well.

So, neglecting friction, this is not less work than lifting a bucket 1m and moving it right 1m?

The word propeller conjures images of helicopters, beanie hats, and toy boats. However, in the early 1800s propellers generally meant paddle-wheels. That began to change with the launch of the Archimedes in May of 1839. The ship was unique in an age of paddle-wheel steamers. The Archimedes was steam powered, but was not propelled by paddle-wheels. Instead, she was fitted with a device described to the patent office as "an improved propeller" in the shape of "a sort of screw, or worm." The Archimedes was only the first in a series of practical screw-propelled ships.

ryukyu said:

@tiny-tim: No I am not aiming to teach them about work and energy, but I do like to back my demonstrations with math when I make claims like "this takes less work than this.." especially when parents start asking questions.

@Godianus: I'm not making the connection. It seems like it would take less work (since there is less applied force). I guess I should make the experiment to state 1m up and 1m right, indicating the use of an inclined plane as well.

So, neglecting friction, this is not less work than lifting a bucket 1m and moving it right 1m?

Yes, Archimedes' screw doesn't reduce the amount of work, we apply less force but our hand travels a longer distance.

ryukyu said:

Correct. It requires less force, but that force is applied over a significantly larger distance. Neglecting friction (and the mass of the bucket), the work should be the same.

Related to Calculating Work done with Archimedes' Wheel for 6-9 Year Olds

1. How do you calculate work done with Archimedes' Wheel?

To calculate work done with Archimedes' Wheel, you need to know the diameter of the wheel, the distance it travels, and the force applied to the wheel. The formula for calculating work is: Work = Force x Distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the object being lifted by the wheel, and the distance is the circumference of the wheel.

2. Can you explain what Archimedes' Wheel is?

Archimedes' Wheel is a simple machine that was invented by the ancient Greek mathematician, Archimedes. It consists of a wheel with buckets attached to its circumference. When the wheel is turned, the buckets pick up water from a lower source and bring it to a higher source, thereby performing work.

3. Why is Archimedes' Wheel important for 6-9 year olds to learn about?

Learning about Archimedes' Wheel can help children understand the concept of work and how simple machines are used to make work easier. It also introduces them to the genius of Archimedes and his contributions to the field of mathematics and physics.

4. What is the significance of the age range for learning about Archimedes' Wheel?

The age range of 6-9 years is a critical period for children to develop an interest in science and mathematics. Introducing them to simple machines like Archimedes' Wheel at this age can spark their curiosity and lay the foundation for further learning in these fields.

5. Are there any fun experiments or activities that can help children understand Archimedes' Wheel better?

Yes, there are many fun experiments and activities that can help children understand Archimedes' Wheel. For example, they can build their own wheel using a paper plate, straws, and small cups. They can also experiment with different weights and distances to see how it affects the work done by the wheel. Additionally, they can try to lift different objects using the wheel and compare the amount of work required.