Calculating Work Required to Lift a Hanging Chain

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the work needed to lift the bottom of a 30 ft long chain, which weighs 5 lb/ft3, to the top of a building. The suggested solution involves setting the axis at the point where the chain is hanging and using the integral formula, but the result of 75 lb/ft is questioned.
Default User

Homework Statement

A chain hangs verticaly from a building. The chain is 30 ft long and is 5 lb/ft3, how much work is needed ot lift the bottom of the chain to the top.

Homework Equations

If you put the axis where the chain is hanging your limits would be 0 and -30

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{0}_{-30}[/tex]5/30y dy

Then I get 1/12y2 and solve it for 0 and -30 and get 75 lb/ft, but it doesn't seem right.

(sorry if I didnt use the templete right, I'm a noob at this)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm moving this to physics. Questions based on physics principles whilst still using calculus should be put in the intro physics homework forum.

Nobody?

Not even a "no your wrong" or "yes that's right"?

Related to Calculating Work Required to Lift a Hanging Chain

1. How is work defined in the context of lifting a chain?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. In the case of lifting a chain, the work done is equal to the force needed to lift the chain multiplied by the height it is lifted.

2. What factors affect the amount of work done to lift a chain?

The amount of work done to lift a chain is affected by the weight of the chain, the height it is lifted, and the force applied to lift it. Friction and other external forces may also affect the work done.

3. Is the work done to lift a chain the same regardless of the method used?

No, the work done to lift a chain can vary depending on the method used. For example, using a pulley system can reduce the amount of force needed to lift the chain, resulting in less work done. However, the same amount of work is still needed to lift the chain to the same height.

4. How is the work done to lift a chain related to its potential energy?

The work done to lift a chain is directly related to its potential energy. As the chain is lifted, it gains potential energy due to its increased height. The amount of work done is equal to the change in potential energy of the chain.

5. Can the work done to lift a chain be negative?

Yes, the work done to lift a chain can be negative if the chain is lowered instead of lifted. In this case, the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in negative work. This means that the chain loses potential energy instead of gaining it.