Can a Missing Tooth Affect My Overall Dental Health?

• Medical
  • Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
In summary: If you have had a tooth loss and the tooth is still present, it would be best to have it extracted. It's not something I would recommend, but it's something that can happen.I'm going to make no assumptions: It would be VERY unusual to...have a tooth lost without having it extracted. If you have had a tooth loss and the tooth is still present, it would be best to have it extracted. It's not something I would recommend, but it's something that can happen.I think it's important to remember that dental health is just as important as any other health concern. Sometimes people can't afford to get their teeth pulled and end up with a lot of dental problems
zetafunction
i have got caries, of course is not a real illness but i have a question

i have all my teeths , i have never had any tooth removed, so there is my question

i am a bit broke now , fortunately i live in a country with public health care so i can go to the dentist and have my tooth removed

my question is (any dentist here ? ) if i lack of a tooth can it affect it to my health ? i mean without a tooth (just one) can all my other teeth spoil or have problems with my denture ?

Biology news on Phys.org
You have cavities? Can't you just get them filled, or has it being going on for so long that the entire tooth has rotted and broken off below the gum line?

Even then, if the root is ok, they can attach an anchor to the root and attach a fake tooth that will be better than new. Amazing what advancements there are in prosthetic dentistry.

Pulling a tooth is now considered the absolute last resort when the root cannot be saved.

Evo said:
You have cavities? Can't you just get them filled, or has it being going on for so long that the entire tooth has rotted and broken off below the gum line?

Even then, if the root is ok, they can attach an anchor to the root and attach a fake tooth that will be better than new. Amazing what advancements there are in prosthetic dentistry.

Pulling a tooth is now considered the absolute last resort when the root cannot be saved.

I think the OP was saying that their public health plan only covers pulling the tooth out completely and they don't have the money to afford the other procedures.

I don't know what the consequences of losing the tooth could be but I think it would be worth it to get some kind of loan to afford a better procedure unless your only option to pay back the loan is some kind of labor that would torture you or be unfairly exploitative or unethical to expect you to perform. In that case, you have to overweigh whether losing the tooth outweighs the cost of getting the money.

Of course, if you are a totally disenfranchized person, your public and/or private support systems will not even give you the option of borrowing money for the procedure, possibly because you are considered permanently unemployable. I hate to even address this topic because I find it so inhumane to drive someone to seek paid employment by restricting their access to premium health care.

The OP may not know that cavities can be filled, which is why I asked them to explain the situation.

Evo said:
The OP may not know that cavities can be filled, which is why I asked them to explain the situation.

That's true. Sometimes root canals are prescribed as the only alternative to pulling the tooth, which makes pulling seem like the only affordable option. Of course, if I was a dentist I would get tired of filling cavities for people with poor hygiene habits and dietary/snacking choices, but this is another issue.

brainstorm said:
That's true. Sometimes root canals are prescribed as the only alternative to pulling the tooth, which makes pulling seem like the only affordable option. Of course, if I was a dentist I would get tired of filling cavities for people with poor hygiene habits and dietary/snacking choices, but this is another issue.
Actually, a root canal makes the tooth extremely brittle and vulnerable. A tooth that has a root canal needs to be capped as soon as possible or it will fall apart.

Evo said:
Actually, a root canal makes the tooth extremely brittle and vulnerable. A tooth that has a root canal needs to be capped as soon as possible or it will fall apart.

I think root canal treatment comes with a cap (at least it does over here, otherwise, as you say, you won't have any tooth for long!). I've never had to have one though (touch wood).

Evo said:

I have been lucky enough (har har) to have this worst-case occur. In the time between the cap and the procedure, tooth was lost, and finally extracted.

To the OP: a rotting tooth can lead to gum disease, never mind that it would eventually become excruciating. If you cannot have the tooth filled, for whatever reason, it is best to have it extracted. That is a terrible alternative if the tooth can be filled however, and can lead to further issue of orthidonture.

I'm going to make no assumptions: It would be VERY unusual to treat a cavity with extraction, in any country which has a public health plan... that is purely third-world and you obviously have access to a computer. If a tooth is removed, other teeth will "drift" towards the area which has been removed, sometimes in a very helpful way, other times requiring correction. There is no reason at all to avoid "drilling and filling" a cavity. In the case of an abscessed tooth requiring a root canal, pulling alone is no guarantee if the infection has spread to the jaw.

It's my sense that you're young, and these are not massive cavities, but I could be wrong. Given that, as Evo has said we really need more information, but the basics hold: fill if you can, extract if you must. There are always consequences, but nothing is worse than leaving the tooth in situ until the infection breaches the dentin and enters the root.

Related to Can a Missing Tooth Affect My Overall Dental Health?

1. What are the common causes of caries?

Caries, also known as tooth decay, is mainly caused by poor oral hygiene habits such as not brushing and flossing regularly. Consuming sugary and acidic foods and drinks can also contribute to the development of caries. Other factors that can increase the risk of caries include dry mouth, certain medications, and genetic predisposition.

2. How can I prevent caries?

To prevent caries, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene habits such as brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing daily. Limiting sugary and acidic foods and drinks can also help prevent caries. Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings is also crucial in preventing caries.

3. What are the signs and symptoms of caries?

The early signs of caries include white spots on the teeth, which indicate the demineralization of the enamel. As caries progresses, the affected area may turn brown or black, and eventually a cavity may form. Other symptoms may include tooth sensitivity, pain, and bad breath.

4. Can caries be reversed?

Early stages of caries can be reversed through proper oral hygiene and a fluoride-rich diet. Fluoride helps to remineralize the enamel and prevent further decay. However, once a cavity has formed, it cannot be reversed and will require treatment from a dentist.

5. How is caries treated?

The treatment for caries depends on the severity of the decay. In the early stages, a dentist may recommend fluoride treatment or fillings to restore the damaged tooth. If the decay has progressed to a more advanced stage, a root canal or tooth extraction may be necessary. It is important to seek treatment for caries as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the tooth and potential complications.