Can AC devices (like heaters etc) work on DC power supply?

In summary: I have not found any reference that specifically mentions using Graphite heating elements on DC, but I have not looked very hard. Most heating elements can be powered with either AC or DC, but graphite heating elements may work better on DC because they are more efficient.
Panthera Leo
Hello,

Is it possible to run heating and elements and other devices with DC supply?

I have turned on Nickel-Chromium Heating wires with AC but is it okay to use it with DC supply?

What's the main practical difference between AC & DC, as long as the voltage and current of supply is similar?

Many thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have a simple heating wire, I would not expect issues with DC (as long as the average current is the same). If you have some electronic system, it can require AC.

Turning it off might get interesting.
Mechanical switches count on the natural zero crossing of the power line sine wave to help quench the arc.
DC has no zero crossing so requires a much more robust switch.
Look at the DC vs AC ratings of a typical switch.

That'd be the only trouble spot I see for the resistive load you describe.
Motors driving say a fan or timer are quite another story.old jim

Thanks :) I see, so even a tungsten bulb will work fine with DC if I have understood correctly.

Panthera Leo said:
Thanks :) I see, so even a tungsten bulb will work fine with DC if I have understood correctly.
An incandescent light bulb will work just as well on DC if you match its voltage to the RMS rating of the AC supply. For 120 VAC, you'd need 120 VDC etc. They typically last longer on AC, though, since on DC, if I recall correctly, the ionized filament will evaporate from one end and deposit at the other, leaving a thin structure behind to burn through.

Last edited:
Thanks milesyoung, very interesting indeed... how about heating elements like Silicon Carbide or Nicrome wires, they too last longer on AC?

I haven't really figured out why is it that the Graphite heating elements are plugged in DC generally speaking...?! Is there any special reason?

Panthera Leo said:
Thanks milesyoung, very interesting indeed... how about heating elements like Silicon Carbide or Nicrome wires, they too last longer on AC?
I doubt it makes any difference in the case of heating elements. Compare the size of a tungsten filament used in an incandescent light bulb to that of the resistive element in a typical household electric heater. The surface temperature of the heating element would probably also be somewhat lower.

Panthera Leo said:
I haven't really figured out why is it that the Graphite heating elements are plugged in DC generally speaking...?! Is there any special reason?
I can't see any reason to prefer DC to AC for powering a graphite heating element. Do you have a reference I could take a look at?

I had only read one article sometime back on internet which had a supply of 50V 150Amps DC... but couldn't find anything else...

There are these AAS (Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy) devices which utilize Graphite Heating tubes, from manufacturers like Buck Scientific... I wonder what the specs of their transformers are... are those DC ?! searched a lot on net but unfortunately not a clue on how many amps/volts either :(

FAQ: Can AC devices (like heaters etc) work on DC power supply?

1. Can AC devices work on DC power supply?

It depends on the specific device and its components. Some AC devices may have internal components that are not compatible with DC power supply, while others may have the ability to convert DC power to AC power. It is important to check the device's specifications and consult with an expert before attempting to use it with a DC power supply.

2. Why would someone want to use a DC power supply for AC devices?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to use a DC power supply for AC devices. One reason is that DC power supplies can be more efficient, resulting in less energy waste. Additionally, in certain situations where AC power is not readily available or the AC power supply is unreliable, using a DC power supply can be a more practical option.

3. Can I simply use a DC to AC converter to make an AC device work on DC power supply?

In most cases, a DC to AC converter will not be sufficient to make an AC device work on DC power supply. AC devices require specific components such as transformers and capacitors to function properly, which cannot be replicated by a simple converter. Attempting to use a converter may damage the device and pose a safety hazard.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using DC power supply for AC devices?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using DC power supply for AC devices. Without proper conversion, the device may not function correctly and could potentially overheat or malfunction. It is important to carefully follow the device's specifications and consult with a professional before attempting to use it with a DC power supply.

5. Can I modify an AC device to work on DC power supply?

In some cases, it may be possible to modify an AC device to work on DC power supply. However, this should only be done by a trained professional with the appropriate knowledge and tools. Modifying the device yourself may damage the device and pose safety hazards. It is always best to consult with a professional before attempting any modifications.

Back