Can Anyone Help Identify This Series and Explain MATLAB's Incorrect Answer?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series that needs to be identified and solved in MATLAB, but the program is not giving a correct answer due to the nature of the series and the way it is being inputted. The series is a power series for e^x with the nth factorial squared involved, making it difficult for MATLAB to solve accurately. The best way to visualize the behavior of the series is to graph it and use a creative summation method for larger values of x.
sparklingway
I have to find the "second smallest root" of the following equation :

[itex]1-x+(x^2)/(2!)^2-(x^3)/(3!)^2+(x^4)/(4!)^2+...=0[/itex]

Matlab returns quite a satisfactory answer. >> p=[1/518400 -1/14400 1/1576 -1/36 1/4 -1 1]

p =

0.0000 -0.0001 0.0006 -0.0278 0.2500 -1.0000 1.0000

>> roots(p)

ans =

-4.6796 +18.5352i
-4.6796 -18.5352i
4.1776 + 3.2154i
4.1776 - 3.2154i

But I have been asked to identify this series as well, which I am unable to do. Can anybody help me identify this series as a function or a product of functions? Thanking anybody who answers before hand

Mathematics news on Phys.org
But Matlab does NOT give a solution to that equation! What you have done is enter the first seven terms of the series as if it were a 6th degree polynomial. If I am understanding your question correctly, that is an infinite power sum. In fact, it looks to me like the power series for e-x and that is never 0.

Why would MATLAB not give a correct answer. From what I can infer, as the nth terms rises the factorial rises dramatically, therefore the fraction becomes very minuscule in value. Ten terms would be sufficient to give an answer correct to the third or fourth decimal place.

The power series of [itex]e^x[/itex] is [itex]1+x+(x^2)/(2!)+(x^3)/(3!)+...[/itex]

The problem with this series is the square of the nth factorial is involved.

sparklingway said:
Why would MATLAB not give a correct answer.
Two reasons: (1) you're not feeding it the right problem, and (2) the companion matrix is quite ill-formed for a truncated series of order 6 or more.

Try graphing the series. You will need to be a bit creative in how you perform the summation if you want to see behavior for anything but small values of x.

FAQ: Can Anyone Help Identify This Series and Explain MATLAB's Incorrect Answer?

What is the "Root of a Power Series"?

The root of a power series is a value that makes the power series equal to zero. It is the value that the independent variable must have in order for the entire series to converge.

How is the root of a power series calculated?

The root of a power series can be calculated using different methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method. These methods involve iteratively approximating the root by using the series' coefficients and the specified value of the independent variable.

What is the significance of the root of a power series?

The root of a power series is significant because it helps determine the convergence of the series. If the root exists, it indicates that the series converges for that particular value of the independent variable. It also helps in finding the range of values for which the series converges.

Can the root of a power series be a complex number?

Yes, the root of a power series can be a complex number. In fact, if the series has complex coefficients, the root will most likely be a complex number. It is important to consider both real and complex roots in order to fully understand the convergence of a power series.

How is the root of a power series used in real-world applications?

The root of a power series has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used in solving differential equations, approximating functions, and analyzing the behavior of systems. It is also used in risk management and predicting future values in financial markets.

Back